My latest endeavor...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

I had a custom order last month for a dark colored wood with an antler cap. I had two pieces of antler and turned both so I could decide which I would use. The order was for a rollerball, so I used a Jr. Gent kit. After I did the caps, decided to do the barrel in a piece of ebony I had... I used the lighter of the two pieces of antler, then found a piece of York Gum Burl that Bill Bombeck had included in an order way back last year or maybe even the year before... this is the results... 1st is Antler(I think it's Axis) and Ebony.... the second is Antler and York Gum burl... a lot of marrow in this piece.. both were finished with CA on the barrel and only Hut polish on the white antler and CA on the other.

Attachments

• 33-911.JPG
    33-911.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 33-911-2.jpg
    33-911-2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 33-928-3.JPG
    33-928-3.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 33-928-4.JPG
    33-928-4.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Chuck I have to ask. I look at other pens people do and I know it is a matter of taste when it comes to shapes but why did you make one pen bushing to bushing almost and the other one soooooooooooo bulbous??? I would think that would be unconfortable to write with. I think when we make these shapes that are abit extreme that we need to test them and see how confortable a shape is. I am not picking on your pens but you got my curiosity up. Thanks.

Chuck I have to ask. I look at other pens people do and I know it is a matter of taste when it comes to shapes but why did you make one pen bushing to bushing almost and the other one soooooooooooo bulbous??? I would think that would be unconfortable to write with. I think when we make these shapes that are abit extreme that we need to test them and see how confortable a shape is. I am not picking on your pens but you got my curiosity up. Thanks.

JT,
Not sure I can give you a concise answer.. The first was a custom order that was made to order and to match another pen that the customer saw and liked... the second was made because on the custom order, I made both caps and then decided on the the whiter bone for the custom pen. The second with the York Gum, I decided would look good with the cap with all the brown/marrow showing... it's a little bulbous anyway... but I did not intend that york gum barrel to be quite so bulbous.... The cap was across shop and I didn't compare them for size... didn't notice until after I had finished assembly... it's fat, but not too uncomfortable to work with... If I can't sell it, I'll use it myself.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the explanation Chuck. I think more mixing and matching of blanks and materials should be done more. You really can come up with some great ideas. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom