my latest disappointment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russianwolf

Russianwolf

I've mentioned this pen and finally got around to taking pictures.

Irish Bog Oak and Mammoth Ivory on a two-tone Pacifica

The cracks (there are two in the upper band) showed up about a week after making the pen. Don't know what I'll wind up doing with this one.

Attachments

• IBO and Wooley.jpg
    IBO and Wooley.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 307
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Man that one hurts all the way over here.
I cant exactly say why this came to mind when I read this but at least the info is correct. Just not necessarily the cause of your problem.
wood and some other materials actually have internal stresses and pressures depending on how they grow. so imagine a small pocket of wood that is trying to move but is held in place by all the other wood around it. sometimes when turning you will expose one of those pockets and get some weird cracking etc that is totally unexpected and equally unavoidable. you have no way of knowing where these pockets will be. This thought crossed my mind as soon as I looked at your photo. the way to minimize this problem is to partially turn the material then let it set for a few weeks allowing it to move if it is going to then go back and turn to finished size. sort of what bowl turners do with green wood.
It is sad on such a high priced material. I have wanted to make a mammoth Ivory fountain pen with ebony bands for years but keep holding off. just way to much investment to have it go wrong.

Skye

As Rick said, dissemble it, let it sit for another few weeks and finish cracking. Then do something like put some black embossing powder and CA to fill the cracks. You could even use a colored resin to make the cracks more distinct to make it look almost intentional.

Personally, if I'm going to sell a pen with ivory in it, it'll be a thin inlay or something. I don't trust it at all and I don't want to risk something cracking someday, even if the owner isn't treating the pen correctly.

Woodlvr

Sorry about that Mike. Do you want my address and I can take it off your hands so that you can forget about it. :')
I turned some nice white acrylic and did not have the color of kit that I wanted for it, so I bagged it until I received my kits and one half has some yellowing to it and the other half cracked. Weird huh?

Last edited:

mrcook4570

1) Disassemble.
2) Use cut-off wheel in a dremel to create a series of equally spaced pinstripes which incorporate/hide the cracks in the ivory. Make the cuts in both ends to maintain symmetry.
3) Fill with IBO dust.
4) Sand and finish.
5) Reassemble

Top Bottom