My Latest Creations--Complexity of Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtdesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtdesigns

This is from my Complexity of Time series. These pens were made using vintage Waltham and Gruen watch parts. I will be submitting these photos to a juried art show coming up this summer. I thought I would share these. Comments/criticisms welcome. Thanks
IMG_8004.jpg

IMG_8024.jpg

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
How many watches does it take to make an ink pen?

Sounds like the opener to a racial joke against watches!

Seriously, that pen is a work of art. Looks to me like each gear was painstakingly set and lots of fancy bending and manipulating of parts. I have seen several watch pens but i don't think i have ever seen one with this many parts in it. How many parts are in there? absolutely stunning. There are tiny parts inside the cogs and gears for crying out loud. The fit and finish are perfect as well.

My ONLY critique would be to cast a custom finial with a gear in it, and maybe a center band with some parts inside, Or maybe, just maybe, you could be so lucky as to find a gear that you could replace the accent ring on the CB with. If you did that, this pen would be over the top. On further thought, If you could accent the clip with a minute hand, or make/have made a custom clip shaped like a minute hand! Oh man... that would be the bees knees!

Even without modded finial and CB, I don't think you will have any problems getting into the art show! Congrats on a masterpiece!

RAdams

Banned
WOW.... I just realized those are two different pens. I thought we were looking at open and closed of the same pen.

So not only did you make an incredible pen... you dod it TWICE! amazing... simply amazing.

theHullTurn

WOW.... I just realized those are two different pens. I thought we were looking at open and closed of the same pen.

So not only did you make an incredible pen... you dod it TWICE! amazing... simply amazing.

Thanks for pointing that out i missed it too!!! :biggrin:

Well done on these pens! They are stunning!

Jim Smith

In a word WOW! They are both stunning collector's pieces. I would love to try one fo these watch pens. Is there a tutorial available to start me on the right track.

Thank you for sharing your very creative and beautiful work.

Jim Smith

Bree

It's about TIME someone produced a beautiful, winning, timepiece pen!!
:wink::wink::wink:

Jon-wx5nco

Those are absolutely beautiful. I would love to see a video on how to make those blanks. I would never be able to make one as those are WAY out of my league. Thank you for sharing. I may have to save a copy of those pictures as I am in awe.
Well done!

jimofsanston

I think Barry Gross has a trade mark on the Watch pens. You might want to take a look at it. I know some one in my club was talking about it. That Barry told him it would be ok if he made one and gave it a gift not to sell it or something along that line.

thewishman

Those are great-looking pens! A few steps up from Barry's (at least the initial ones I saw last year.) Thanks for sharing the photos!

Do they keep time accurately? :biggrin: (At least more than twice a day.)

jtdesigns

I think Barry Gross has a trade mark on the Watch pens. You might want to take a look at it. I know some one in my club was talking about it. That Barry told him it would be ok if he made one and gave it a gift not to sell it or something along that line.

I actually spoke with Barry and he told me as long as I didn't mass produce them........like that is even possible with the amount of time in one pen.

Lenny

While I am constantly amazed by what people here come up with ... this is right up there with the best ones I have seen!
Wonderful!!!!

jtdesigns

Just for reference, I checked with a good friend of mine who is a patent attorney. It would be rather difficult to patent a "watch part pen" because the layout and design would have to be spelled/draw out. Any significant variance would be outside a patent. Also one would have to get permission or own the rights to the watch maker's name to incorporate this into a patent. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for Barry but I think this was said to keep people from taking his ideas and mass producing them (like the circuit board pen which he claims was of his origin). I fully intend to honor our agreement which was to not mass produce. I do, however, intend to take this concept and improve upon it.

Thanks everyone for you compliments!! I also would like to hear of any criticisms.

jttheclockman

I told him too that I was making them to sell also. He has actually changed his design from what he originally started with. The clock pen has been around for alot longer than he did it. It may have been his idea to use parts to make a blank and that would have to be researched also. Just like every idea, hard to patten things like this.

jtdesigns

Where do the parts come from? Did you take the watch apart or did they come loose? Great looking pen either way.

I find watches at antique/flea markets. I then take them apart and try to use every piece I can. It takes about 6-7 watches worth of parts to do a Jr. Gent size pen.

nava1uni

Your work is stunning. The attention to detail is amazing. I think that it would be interesting to see one with the hardware being black, either matt or gloss, so that the parts would be highlighted against such a background.

jimofsanston

I am glad that is cleared up. I work on swiss time locks for banks. Now I feel that i can now do one without getting in trouble. Thanks for the info. Those are some great looking pens.

jtdesigns

Public Apology

I am glad that is cleared up. I work on swiss time locks for banks. Now I feel that i can now do one without getting in trouble. Thanks for the info. Those are some great looking pens.

Wow, the subtlety of a train wreck!:confused: Anyway, after being called out for claiming the work as my own by Mr. Gross (I actually did make the pen from watch parts) I must formally acknowledge that my pen ("my" being the pen I made not my idea) is not of an original idea by me. Apparently, while there is no patent on pen, there is a copyright by Barry Gross, since he is the first person to put watch parts on a pen and cast in resin. There is also a copyright on casting cigar labels, bottle caps, and flies (fishing) by Mr. Gross. I have unintentionally caused damage to the livelihood of Mr. Gross. Out of respect, I will not be sharing any pictures of pens that I make that might infringe on someone's livelihood or claim any work as my own original idea. I really thought that in regards to pen making, there are very few original ideas. I just wonder if segmenting, resin casting, and bullet cartridge pens are copyrighted because I have made and sold these too.:wink:

Thank you all for your compliments, I do appreciate it and feel that is a just reward for a lot of time spent on these watch pens (about 8 hours each one.......but not my idea). Thanks again, and I really do feel bad for stirring this hornet's nest.

Jeff Tate

jttheclockman

Jeff

I do not think you did anything wrong. You did not state it was your idea in any of your posts and in fact you mention in this post that you spoke with Barry and told him of your intentions. You gave him credit for it and chose to make one in your style. I am not sure if you both do the same technique in making the pen. Thanks for showing and keep showing your work.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well, I still think they are ALL damned nice!!! Your's, Barry's and even the original Caran d Ache 1010.:wink:

It's a pity the other thread was locked because it could have cleared up questions about using labels , logo's etc under resin. Not long ago there was a long thread on this subject and as Barry had obviously done the research into this, his input would have been invaluable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom