My Latest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

These are a few of a recent group I just finished for a local benefit for a young boys illness. The first is an Atrax from a blank I made. I received a few of these kits from Ed and Dawn as "Freebies" in an order. I wasnt sure if I liked them at first but Im finding it hard to let this one go. I like the class and simplicity of the Atrax and how it doesnt out do but brightens the blank. Thanks guys!
The second is a black ti baron made of sap with some heart wood of Amboyna burl. The last is a blue and pearl swirl Jeff Powell Pine Cone blank on a Triton. I never get tired of turning these blanks and love how the resin and cone work so well together. This one reminds me of a winter scene. All comments welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• atrax blue burl_800x410.JPG
    atrax blue burl_800x410.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 514
  • atrax 2_800x499.JPG
    atrax 2_800x499.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 394
  • amboyna baron_800x373.JPG
    amboyna baron_800x373.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 447
  • blue pine cone_800x510.JPG
    blue pine cone_800x510.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

Those are great. I cannot seem to get rnough of that straight, elegant look of the Atrax. I really need to make some.

That pinecone is pretty wicked, too. Looks like 100 islands in the sky.

Keep it up, John.

ossaguy

Wow,those all look outstanding! The pinecone pen is my favorite,that's the nicest one I've ever seen.

Steve

BSea

I like the 1st one the best. I've never done an atrax because I like to do custom finials. If there was a model that would allow for that, I think this would be my go to kit.

wright_714

I am thinking of getting a couple of the pine cone blanks. Do they turn pretty cleanly or did you have to fill in with CA at some point? Well done on all your work there.

JohnU

Thanks all. I delivered them last night with very good reception. I just hope the crowd is willing to spend some money for the worthy cause.

I am thinking of getting a couple of the pine cone blanks. Do they turn pretty cleanly or did you have to fill in with CA at some point? Well done on all your work there.

I've turned several of Jeff Powell's pinecone blanks with no problems. I like to use them for donations because its usually something nobody has ever seen before. Their great attention getters and they turn very easy. Occasionally you might find a small pin hole like air bubble but a little medium ca in the hole before the ca finish and you never ever see it. I apply a few coats of thin ca first, to be soaked up in the cone before my medium ca layers and its all good.

plano_harry

It is hard to appreciate the amboyna next to the other two. The color combination on the first is perfect, but that pinecone blows me away! Great stuff.

Harry

Top Bottom