My last Olympia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

At least that is my intent. I've only turned one pen that I dislike more than this one. TN gold finish. Did this one in green swirl acrylic from the special buy that Martin put one a few weeks ago. I almost forgot, I shortened the upper barrel 3/16" to help the pen look better proportioned.

2005102925944_oly_green_acrylic.jpg

Thanks for looking and feel free to bash away. :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Very nice, Billy. It's funny how one man's trash is another's treasure. I really like the kit. I've made several dozen and they are very popular.

gerryr

I think it looks great. I've been thinking about getting some of these kits. This is a better photo than the catalog, a lot more interesting.

wayneis

I've also made a few dozen and have had no complaints so I'll keep on making them. It looks like you did a nice job on that one, very attractive pen.

Wayne

vick

I am with you Billy I do not like the looks of that kit, but obviouusly many people do. I guess that is why the manufacturers make so many different kits!

alamocdc

Thanks, guys. Mark, there are a number of things actually and they don't all really have to do with the kit, per se. First, I've not had very good luck selling them. Secondly, I think they are over priced for a 7mm Cross-type refill kit (JMO). Thirdly, too many mods are necessary to get them to look good. Okay, this one is an easy fix and one that is actually right up my alley because I'm not a typical B2B turner, but that's not the point. The lower barrel is too thin if left B2B and looks disproportionate to the uppper. That's why so many who do this one turn the lower fatter with a tenon on the upper end. In spite of it's girth, the upper barrel is too long for the overall dimension of the pen and looks out of sorts if not cut back. I found 3/16" to be just about right. Otherwise the pen just seems unbalanced. I've also had issues aligning the CB on all 5 of these I've done. Maybe it isn't fair to judge a pen in 5 kits, but I feel it sufficient for me to get the feel of the kit and test it's metal, so to speak. The Perfect Fit uses the same style CB and I haven't had a single alignment problem with one yet (and I think I've already done 5). The alignment I'm referring to may not be what you're thinking. The two decorative bands that fall loosely around the press-fit CB don't seem to want to line up with each other, OR the CB itself at times. No matter how careful I am and how much time I spend keeping these straight and square before pressing, they NEVER stay that way. Again, too much cost for such aggrevation! I don't get this kind of grief from a $1.50 SL, I certainly shouldn't have to tolerate it from a $7.00 kit! Sorry, Mark... you asked. [:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom