My kitless looking for feedback

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cowjelly

cowjelly

Hi all! I've been a long time lurker reading as much as I could trying to get the skills down, well here is a pen I made for the kitless challenge. Tell me what you think my photo's need work, I know, but practice makes better hopefully!

Best Regards,
Keith...

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Feedback? It looks great! I like the overall shape and design. Don't know if I would have included the bead at the center, it detracts from the flow of the pen. Other than that the pen is major league all the way.

Skye

I think I would have also done without the bead and maybe tapered the nib a tiny bit more so you can see when the refill hits the paper, but regardless it's a great looking pen. How did you make the clip?

Personally, I like the bead.
I don't like the lack of a tapered tip. The pen point sticking out that far looks like it lacks support. It may not lack support, but it gives it a "flimsy" look to me.

Everything else looks terrific.

cowjelly

Hi!
Thanks for your comments. It's good to get feedback. I was going to taper the nib end more, then I thought, I want to try and fool some people by making it look like a cap pen. So far just about everyone I've handed it to tries to pull off the top as if it were a cap. I made the clip from a brass dowel. I first turned the profile then filed the flats while it was on the lathe. Then I bent it to shape sanded & polished it. I learned alot from this pen and it was fun to make. I agree the bead does mess with the flow. There's always next time. Thanks again, Keith

ldb2000

Keith , sorry your pen wasn't getting the attention it deserves over in the Advanced penturning forum but people seem to be afraid to go there , I'm not sure why , I guess it's just that they have been lead to believe that since they don't make kitless fountain pens there's nothing there for them . That was one of the reasons for the Challenge in the first place , to prove anyone can make an advanced pen if they just try .
I really love the way your pen mimics a Cap pen and the nib end has to be that shape to enhance the illusion so you got it right , the blank is awesome and I love the clip . You really pulled it off perfectly !!!
You made a one of a kind pen and should really be proud of yourself for trying and succeeding so well .
:good::good::good:

Last edited:
Excellent work on the pen, Keith! I think, unlike the others, that had you made the nib more tapered, it would've created a weak link in the pen, possibly leading to cracking and failure at that point. You've done a good job in avoiding that, whether that was your intention or not.

marionquill

I like it! Great job on the clip, sounds like it was a lot of work to make. I actuaully like how the ballpoint comes out, reminds me of those old, multi-color ink pens that had, like 5 colors in one pen.

Jason

VisExp

Keith, (feels strange to type that, not to many of us around) the pen looks great. I agree with some of the other comments about the bead at the center band and I would like to see more of a taper towards the nib. Nice work, well done.

Fine looking pen, great blank.
I too have the feeling that the nib end is too round, needs more taper. I am ok with the bead, too. Thanks for the description of how you made the clip, I would like a better explanation of how the clip is secured, if you would be so kind.
Glenn

cowjelly

Hello, My apology for the delay in reponce, my computer just got fixed. Thanks for the comments. I attached the clip with a small screw and nut. I filed the nut down to just fit the tube. Then I ran the nut to the end of the hole on the cap held it in place with a drop of thin CA. Then I measured the depth for the slot in the acrylic cut the slot with a dremel. Finally, I cut a small fork in the end of the clip so it slipped over the screw and after a few colorful words and couple cold beers and a pack of smokes I got the thing to fit tight when the screw is tightened. I've figured out a much easier way, when I get it worked out I'll be happy to post some pictures if anyone is interested.
Thanks Keith...

JohnU

Keith, that is one of the nicest kitless pens I have ever seen. With or without the bead, it looks great. Nice shape, great looking clip!, and I really like the metal rings replacing the center band. You pulled it off and it looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom