My kind of puzzle pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

With all the talk about puzzle pens lately I decided to create my own version.

Made with Black wood / Blood wood / Curly Maple.

All Pictures below are the SAME pen

Today I need a linear pen!
puzzle1.jpg

Wait for my next meeting I need some stairs!
puzzle3.jpg

OOPS My checkerboard tournament is tonight!
puzzle2.jpg

Not sure sure about my date tonight.
puzzle4.jpg

AGAIN....All pictures above are the exact same pen. I just changed the design in a moment to accommodate my surrounding's.

As always comments or concerns welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey, that's pretty cool Ron, I have been staring at it since you posted, trying to figure out how you did the cuts. [:D]
Nice pics too.

pipeyeti

Sorry just read yourpost better its blackwood. All the segmets/layers were turned before assembling tghe layers on the tube ? with the black glued on the ends?

Ron Mc

Thanks for the comments everyone. This is an idea I came up with about a year ago and attempted with a miserable failure due to drill bit sizes.
Shane...The 9 individual bands between the two black pieces on the ends move. The individual squares do not move independently. That is for another day.[;)]
Yes the two black pieces on the ends of the tube are the only pieces glued to the tube.
Yes the small black bands in the center area do turn as well.

One point to bring up....There is absolutely no disassembly required to change the design. You just hold the piece of wood next to the one you want to change and make your change. Easy enough.

If you would like to try one of these your self here are some tips for you that will save you some time and grief.

1) If you are creating a JG or JS DO NOT use the bit recommended by CSUSA for the lower barrel. The method used to create the lower blank requires a tight fit and the recommended bit just won't work. Trust me on this![;)] Use a "Z" bit for the lower barrel.

2) Do not glue anything to the tube before turning. Drill, then cut all of your pieces to size, slip on the tube, and use the bushings to apply pressure to the blank as you turn it.

3) Make sure your turning tools are very sharp. This will assist in preventing a blow out of your smaller pieces.

4)Feel for the right pressure for your pieces. You can have it to week and the tube will show in between the pieces and you can have it too tight and it will be too hard to change on the run.

Well'p....Y'all have fun with the idea and I look forward to seeing how you improve it.

twoofakind

Great looking pen. It's great to see your design come alive that you were talking about late last year. Your workmanship and creativity are astounding.
Andy

kirkfranks

Ron,
Great pen and thanks for the pointers. I may have to try something similar.

If anyone wants to go the next level I suggest making it as a true puzzle pen and you would need to line the rings up in a certain way in order to remove the cap[?]
Sort of like the combination bike locks with inline tumblers. I don't think I will be the one to pull it off.

Ron Mc

Why would you have to remove the cap?
OOPS....I just figured out what you are thinking.....Interesting.[;)]

Actually there is another way to push this to the next level. I have had the music on and pencil on paper working out the problems that need to be solved.

Verne

Ron, as always...very, very kewl. Two questions...when will we see a Rubiks cube...and just what were we listening too as we completed this pen.
Great, innovative and unique pen turnings. Just as we always expect from you.
Vern

trsmth

Ron, What kind of finish did you use on this to still allow the pieces to move. Did you finish them on the tube or individually? This is awesome and really out there. This is truly inspiring and nerve racking at the same time. My brain hurts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom