My Intermediate Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RSidetrack

RSidetrack

This was the pen I entered into the Intermediate Contest. I was surprised I made it to the final ten so even though I wasn't in the top three I was ecstatic to have made it that far.

The photos were the ones entered for the contest, though I should probably retake with my standard setup.

The pen is a Marksman Eagle Fountain.

The pen is comprised of three woods: Redheart, Purpleheart, and Yellowheart (aka the All Hearts Pen). Each segment is separated by a piece of aluminum (taken from Aluminum cans - yes I recycle :biggrin:).

So to describe the pen. The cap section is made of Yellowheart and Redheart in four segments. The segments were then glued to the aluminum and made a rectangular blank. I then cut a 45 degree cut off of each side, but opposite sides of the cap (if that makes sense). I glued the purpleheart on, let dry, then proceeded to cut 45's on the adjacent sides on each end of the cap piece, glued aluminum and purple heart on. That gives the big vs smaller cut on each end on the same "line" so-to-speak. My goal was to achieve a heart like pattern.

The main barrel consists of purpleheart as the center attraction. It was the small pieces in the cap, only made sense that it was the big piece here. The 45 degree cuts then consisted of yellow heart and redheart. The only drawback I had that really upset me was I somehow got my cut wrong on the redheart on the butt end of the pen, which you can see - it is very small compared to the yellowheart. Unfortunately time did not permit to go through the multi-day process of making another one of these pens for a contest, so I had to enter as is.

So this was my entry - the entry I thought somehow got lost in the submission process but then showed up :wink: The entry that I thought didn't stand a chance but made it to the top ten :biggrin: Next year I am going to try and get a head start on my pen, but with work and school who knows, I may end up with my time limitations like I did this year again. This is also my first try at the Intermediate contest.

Thanks for looking C&C welcome!

Attachments

• AllHearts-1.jpg
    AllHearts-1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 274
  • AllHearts-2.jpg
    AllHearts-2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 164
  • AllHearts-3.jpg
    AllHearts-3.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 167
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Den

That's a hell-ov-a pen.
Looks really great - love the colours.
Impressed that you have kept the yellowheart so clean in the grain especially with the aluminium next to it when sanding!
I'm not at all surprised you got in the top ten.
Regards
John

Last edited:

nanosec12

I have a question about your aluminum use....how do you clean the coloring off of the cans, or do you even bother?

However you do it, the results are fantastic,Nice Work

LL Woodworks

You have to get all of the ink and clear base coat off both sides else the CA or epoxy will not adhere. I use a process of MEK and scotch brite to soften and remove the coatings / ink. FYI - I was a quality manager for a company that made these cans and there is either a clear or white size coat on the outside, then the printing then an over varnish. The inside has a clear coating - My experience is that all this has to be removed.

I have a question about your aluminum use....how do you clean the coloring off of the cans, or do you even bother?

RSidetrack

Believe it or no the process I use is 220 grit sand paper, a power sander and clamps. I sand both sides. The painted side is easy because when the paint is gone you know you got it, the other side takes some patience and checking. If you do too much you go straight through. PS - if you sand it rather than use some form of paint thinner and cleaner (though I recommend this anyway) wear a respirator. The aluminum shavings, paint and coating are very bad for the lungs.

Once it is sanded, I wipe it down with denatured alcohol. Then apply CA, contact it with the wood and presto :).

RSidetrack

Impressed that you have kept the yellowheart so clean in the grain especially with the aluminium next to it when sanding!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Beautiful pen!
It was quite a challenge. The denatured alcohol was probably the life saver here. While the aluminum was a bit of an issue with discoloration, it was nothing like the redheart filling in the yellowheart grain, it almost turned the wood red itself. It took some careful scrubbing with the denatured alcohol and a bit of patience, but once I got it clean and all of the grain cleared out I started to apply the CA.

Top Bottom