My IAP Pen Contest entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I just got my pen entry back from Scott yesterday and finally got a chance to photograph it. I was stretching the deadline prior to the contest and didnt get a chance to take any pictures. I'll apologize now for the fingerprints and poor pictures. I should have used my photo tent but was running out of time for work today so this was the best I could do. The brightness is a little much and drowned out some of the Rhodium.

I call this one "The Outdoorsman". It was made from ringneck pheasant feathers arranged on a jr gent Rhodium kit with brass highlights. I replaced the cap top with some selfcast brown resin swirl to match the center brown feathers. The center band was disassembled and replaced with a brown ring between two brass rings. This was the first time I turned brass and was very happy with how easy it was to work with. I also added a brass ring just below the top of the cap to add a little something. I think next time I'll us a jr statesman so I can make the bottom of the pen the same as the top. All together from start to finish it took me six days. It was a fun learning process and really gave me some ideas on what I would like to do kitless someday. The feathers line up from top to bottom or alternate from cap to body, depending on what thread you start with. I prefer it alternated.
All comments appreciated.
Thanks, John

Attachments

• Outdoorsman 2_800x424.JPG
    Outdoorsman 2_800x424.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 487
  • Outdoorsman 1_800x535.JPG
    Outdoorsman 1_800x535.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 347
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Congratulations on your win, John.

Seems only fitting considering all the folks for whom you have made your feather blanks--nice you get a "pat on the back"!!

Congrats!!
Ed

PenMan1

Simply Stunning, John!

I love the embellishment or (actually the tone down) of the centerband, as well as your beautiful blanks!

JohnU

Thank you all. I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement. I can't say enough about the IAP. I've never had such a great group of people and friends to pm, post and learn from.

Top Bottom