My Horrible Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skie_M

Skie_M

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got these dip pens in today .... I must say I am horribly disappointed in the quality that went into these. They could have been 20 times better with a simple standard nib!

Out of the package, they are not capable of writing. I spent 10 minutes with 600 grit and 1000 grit sandpaper smoothing the tip of the nib so that I could do any writing at all with this. I will keep it around as a show piece for people to pick up and look at, for a more primitive style of writing instrument, but I will probably re-make the body.

As I was drilling the hole for the feather, the check in the blank (that I had not noticed beforehand) reared it's ugly head .... I still didn't see it till I pressed the wooden dowel in the base of the feather home and it spread the crack for visibility.

You can check out my terrible review for this item in the reviews forum here.

Don't buy the dip pens from PSI ... not unless you have some nice nibs to spare laying about that will fit it.

Also, the ones shown in the picture at PSI are NOT the ones they will send you ... they sent me some wierd dark blue stamped steel nibs, not the golden colored ones pictured in their ad.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

iMattDaddy

Just a couple questions because I'm new to dip pens. I don't know what your experience is... Is the nib picking up ink when you dip or is it running off? I've read that they put a protective coating on all new nibs to prevent corrosion and it needs to be cleaned off, or lightly torched with a flame (just 1 or 2 seconds). I understand that some quality nibs can be a bit finicky to get started writing too.
I'll go check your review too, maybe you already addressed those questions.

Skie_M

Torched the nib to remove the dark blue coating... it's a plain looking steel underneath.

It writes the same, but I still don't have any calligraphy ink. I've mixed some acrylic black with water, but no matter the consistency I can barely write a 4-letter word without running out of ink.

I'll have to do some more research on what types and kinds of consistency of ink will be needed... and I'll also have to see if any nearby stores stock any. At the very least, if one is sold, the buyer will want to know where to go for ink that will work with it.

Skie_M

1000 grit on a nib?!?!?!? You ruined that one.

Well, thanks for the tip. What should I have done?

Could you reach into your voluminous stash of knowledge and reveal an answer for those of us who were wanting to actually make and sell these things?

Exactly how are these nibs supposed to write? How can we adjust or modify them to write properly?

Top Bottom