My guild pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

This is my submission pen to the Pen Makers Guild.

I call it the kaleidoscope pen

It is unusual, but the submission form repeats NEW idea, NEW, did we say we liked NEW IDEAS. The lower body is one piece made from aluminum. The pen is a twist design, much like a Sierra. The upper is aluminum, carbon fiber, clear acrylic and 346 gem stones. The lower aluminum band on the upper body is bonded to the acrylic. The upper cap is machined with a deep tre-pan groove that fits the acrylic tube with very close tolerance on both ID and OD. The cap has a threaded post that mates with a tapped hole in the carbon fiber tube to draw the cap down tight on the upper body. Can not have those gems getting loose. I got the gem stones from a friend who is a gold buyer and he has to remove the stones from the jewelery before sending them off to the smelter. We traded a baggie of stones for a bucket of advertising tokens I lasered out for him. Total count of gems is - 19 opals. 20 saphires, 24 emeralds, 108 rubys, and 175 diamonds. I have a diamond tester, they are all real, small, but real.

As you rotate the pen, the stones tumble around the carbon fiber shaft kinda like a kaleidoscope.

All comments welcome and appreciated. My photo skills still suck, but there are better pics on the guild site (some one else took them :) ).

Attachments

• Guild pen 002.jpg
    Guild pen 002.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 667
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Certainly unique Gary. But I'm afraid I agree with you on the pics. I had a look on PMG and it's FANTASTIC!!!:biggrin:

ldb2000

Fantastic original concept Gary . You better put that one in a locked glass case , with that many gem stones it's worth a small fortune no matter what size they are .

That pen "ROCKS"!!!

Sorry , I had to say it :devil::biggrin:

SDB777

I can't even imagine what kind of selling price something this unique would bring......WOW!!!!!

Scott (dog farts smell really bad.....mine just let loose) B

airrat

Great job and nice looking pen. I would love to see the better pictures of it. I don't see them on the guild site, at least the part I can get to.

gwilki

Congratulations, Gary. No mean feat. The pen is great. I make kaleidoscopes, so if I might be so bold to suggest that when you do your next one (there must be a next one, right?), fill the void with glycerin. The stones will float around suspended in the thick liquid and really add to your effect.

Top Bottom