My Foxy Christmas Present

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK, for Christmas I had three wants (I have few needs): Incredible tool rests from rherrell; some "George Wood" from robutacion; and some Blanks from Oldfoxpenblanks.

It's been hot in George's shed - 100+ in Australia - but it ships tomorrow. Got the tool rests from rherrell and the Foxy Blanks (my daughter's contribution to Christmas...Wifey wouldn't touch that one).

Only have been turning for 2 years, and even less experienced at photography, but this is my first pen posting. I've a tough skin, so comments are welcomed.

Others with more time in IAP will know all this, but for those like me - some random comments:

1. rherrell made incredible tool rests exactly to spec - I didn't want to get them dirty.
2. The blanks from oldfoxpenblanks looked wonderful BEFORE I turned them.
3. George (robutacion) is a real hoot to talk to and a pleasure to work with.

If these IAP members are new to you - check them out (my opinion only).

I turned the pens between centers (johnnycnc bushings) using Sorby Micro Tools. I started originally with Carbide tools (and still use them), but I have painful carpel tunnel in both hands/thumbs and the Sorby Micros just feel better to me (again, just my opinion).

Attachments

• IMG_0304_2.jpg
    IMG_0304_2.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Well Mark, where to start.
Lets start with Tool Rest by rherrell .
I am with you I wouldn't want to put it into my banjo and lock the clamp screw against it.
It is too Beautiful, and Superbly finished.
Just how many did you get?
I see about three I think, and pardon my ignorance, but they look like the rest is threaded to the Post, is that correct?
Meaning several different length, or shaped rests can be accommodated on one post, if economy was your goal.
Boy did you strike the Christmas jackpot there, you must have been a good boy during the year.
Onto the Blanks,
Wow Wow & Wow,
What a great assortment of Spectacular Blanks from oldfoxpenblanks,
they should keep you busy till the Blanks from George's robutacion arrive.
Finally, The Pens,
Glorious Blanks well matched to the Pens.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Great Work Well Done.
Brian.

Looks like an abundance of wonderful gifts are already having a positive impact on your work. Well done Mark.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well Mark, where to start.
Lets start with Tool Rest by rherrell .
I am with you I wouldn't want to put it into my banjo and lock the clamp screw against it.
It is too Beautiful, and Superbly finished.
Just how many did you get?
I see about three I think, and pardon my ignorance, but they look like the rest is threaded to the Post, is that correct?
Meaning several different length, or shaped rests can be accommodated on one post, if economy was your goal.
Boy did you strike the Christmas jackpot there, you must have been a good boy during the year.
Onto the Blanks,
Wow Wow & Wow,
What a great assortment of Spectacular Blanks from oldfoxpenblanks,
they should keep you busy till the Blanks from George's robutacion arrive.
Finally, The Pens,
Glorious Blanks well matched to the Pens.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Great Work Well Done.
Brian.

Thank you for kind comments everyone.

Brian: I have a Jet Mini and a Nova 1624-44, so I bought a set for each. This included a post and two rests - one round, the other with a flat top. I started out learning with Easy Wood Tools (Carbide), but am learning slowly how to use conventional tools. As I said, I used Sorby Micro Modular tools for the pens. I wanted all 4 rests short enough to be able to turn between centers and have the rest fit into the smaller area. They are really, really nice. rherrell did me good! Yes, they are threaded so 2 rests need one post.

I live only 10 minutes from Berea Hardwoods, so I have used a lot of their blanks (done maybe... 250 pens in 2 yrs... several came out nice). The past few months I wanted to try some different blanks/vendors - I prefer to buy as much as possible with IAP members. Any slight price increase over a "Large Outfit" (they still get my money :rolleyes:) is not an issue to me - it is worth it to support our membership and their companies that have made IAP a great organization. Exotic Blanks and woodturningz have been getting a few hits from me also... We all will have our preferences, but I believe in spreading my support (I also own a small business so I respect loyalty).

This was my first order from Old Fox, and on first impression it won't be my last. I like some of his features - the blank is already round, true and has a pilot hole in the ends. Because it is milled, I can see a good deal of how the colors will turn out (We all have turned blanks that started with great features and much of those great features ended up on the floor). The quality is first rate and the colors are stunning (my opinion).

Yes, I am really looking forward to my order from Robutacion - I ordered larger blanks for mini bird houses (2x 2x 6-12" in a variety of woods) I told George to pick them himself - his choice! I think I asked for an "Aussie Grab Bag." My only preference was for as many eyes, inclusions and holes as possible - I want to try inlays this year. George's prices are very reasonable, so the cost of shipping made it close to a wash and it is worth it to me. Of course..I needed some Pen blanks also. I love working with Eucalyptus - what ... 600+ varieties :eek::good:

Thanks for the interest.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

OZturner

Thanks for the information Mark on the
Tool Rests, I will investigate the freight & cost aspect of using them "Down Under".
Yes, we are lucky here with our Australian Timbers, we have a great range of incredible Timbers, As well as the eucalyptus, the Acacias "Wattle" trees and Grevilleas offer a pretty spectacular pieces as well.
regards,
Brian

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for the information Mark on the
Tool Rests, I will investigate the freight & cost aspect of using them "Down Under".
Yes, we are lucky here with our Australian Timbers, we have a great range of incredible Timbers, As well as the eucalyptus, the Acacias "Wattle" trees and Grevilleas offer a pretty spectacular pieces as well.
regards,
Brian

My wife and I spent 14 days...a "few" years ago in Australia - had a fantastic time. Scuba diving in Cairns, Fairy Penguin Parade, Pizza with Pineapples, eggs and Bacon, and a wonderful train ride into the "outback" (barely got 30 miles from the coast!). Really nice country.

Last year I was using Red Mallee, Eucalyptus burls, and other lumber common by you. Incredible grains, nice open holes (many will cringe that I want wood with holes... :eek: But for the bird houses, it made them look... natural). If I wanted a smooth looking bird house - go to Wal Mart!

Anyway, My Aussie Grab Bag is on the way for Christmas Ornaments in 2014 - Thanks George! :wink:

Top Bottom