My fourth pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JRK

JRK

This is a slim line pen kit from Rockler Woodworking. The blank was maple and I used a burn wire to make the lines.

There is a problem with the clip. Suggestions on how to fix the clip?

Thanks

Jerry

Attachments

• Pen 2019-02-27.jpg
    Pen 2019-02-27.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The pen looks very nice. Please elaborate on the clip issue, there are some easy fixes for slims.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pull the cap off. Using a transfer punch or any suitable rod, very lightly tap the cap off. Then rebend the clip before reassembling.

Last edited:

bsshog40

I have had a couple clips do that to me also. You can usually catch it before you press it on. I bend them just a little before pressing.

turncrazy43

The same thing happens when the upper barrel is turned large. prior to assembly lay the clip along the upper barrel to determine where the clip has to be bent in order to conform with the turned blank. Then gently bend the clip in the correct spot using a large punch rod. If you are careful it should conform to the upper barrel.
Turncrazy43

jttheclockman

Stick a small transfer punch or dowel under the clip and gently press down on it as you slide it down the underside of the clip and you should be able to get enough spring into it to allow to bend gracefully. This way you do not have to take it apart. If all fails take it apart as mentioned above but I have done this with other pens and it works. Sometimes just pressing down on the center of the clip will take the spring out of it and it will lay flat. I do this at times if I carry a pen in a flannel shirt pocket and then want to switch to a dress shirt the clip has stretched in the flannel pocket because of the thicker material. Just a suggestion.:):)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The pen looks very nice. Please elaborate on the clip issue, there are some easy fixes for slims.

It is bent out and does not make contact with the pen body. It was that way as soon as I pressed it on.

Jerry

Stick a small transfer punch or dowel under the clip and gently press down on it as you slide it down the underside of the clip and you should be able to get enough spring into it to allow to bend gracefully. This way you do not have to take it apart. If all fails take it apart as mentioned above but I have done this with other pens and it works. Sometimes just pressing down on the center of the clip will take the spring out of it and it will lay flat. I do this at times if I carry a pen in a flannel shirt pocket and then want to switch to a dress shirt the clip has stretched in the flannel pocket because of the thicker material. Just a suggestion.:):)

I believe JT's suggestion would be excellent if it were to tight, causing possible indentation of the blank. But unless I'm mis reading, it needs to be bent in; the top of the clip by the ring and the actual clip angle needs to be reduced. I'm not certain pressing on the middle of the clip will do what you need.

Or, possibly try as JT suggests, but use a larger rod/dowel that will slightly increase the distance between the blank and the clip - in the middle, and you may be able to bend the tip of the clip a bit down by increasing the space in the middle.

(I'd simply disassemble and bend the clip. I suspect about 2 minutes of work).

Lenny

Looks like you are off to a great start and already experimenting a little with your designs.
I would add to what others have said, I like to add just a drop of blue loctite before pressing the clip in, especially if you have removed it once already. It will help keep things together but can still be knocked apart if need be.

Top Bottom