My first watch pen!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ulises Victoria

After 2 failed attempts, I finally managed to get an acceptable one. It has some flaws, but at least it came out complete and worth to show off here. :tongue:

It is an Emperor. I got the watch parts from Amazon.com, searching for Steampunk stuff. The acrylic is from a local supplier. Thanks to advise in the Penturning forum, I finally managed to get an accurate mix ratio for clear PR (3-4 drops to an ounce). This cast was poured at 6:30 AM and by noon I was already turning.
I now need to work a bit more in my metal bending skills :tongue:. (The sharp bend in the face, looks less evident in person) :)

This pen is going to an Arts and Crafts contest to be held at the end of this month, along with 5 others. 3 in wood and 3 in acrylic.

All comments welcome.

Attachments

• Pens 163.jpg
    Pens 163.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 428
  • Pens 166.jpg
    Pens 166.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
You mentioned the face...other than that, it's a great job! Next time maybe add some more goodies, different color of parts. Finish looks super!!! What did you find worked for tube paint?

Thank you. Paint is Spray acrylic flat black. When using enamels, that paint got messed up. It looked like flakes.
Finish is up to 12000 MM and Hut Crystal Plastic Polish

Very nice. The flat black sure shines in plastic. Were do you get your watch faces from if you don't mind:)

Don.
Thank you. Watch faces have prove to be the most difficult to get. I got this particular one from Dave's Watch Parts and Tools.
When I first ordered from him, he was nice enough to ask what I wanted them for, and made me aware that some of them were ceramic, thus not bendable. He pointed me in the right direction, and seemed very excited with the idea.
I've seen some pens wearing a Rolex face :confused::eek:. I wonder how/where to get those. If anyone can shed some information I will be eternally grateful.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Very nice. The flat black sure shines in plastic. Were do you get your watch faces from if you don't mind:)

Don.
Thank you. Watch faces have prove to be the most difficult to get. I got this particular one from Dave's Watch Parts and Tools.
When I first ordered from him, he was nice enough to ask what I wanted them for, and made me aware that some of them were ceramic, thus not bendable. He pointed me in the right direction, and seemed very excited with the idea.
I've seen some pens wearing a Rolex face :confused::eek:. I wonder how/where to get those. If anyone can shed some information I will be eternally grateful.

Ebay is your friend. Buy old watches and take them apart. Way cheaper

ugrad

Lovely pen, is there a WIP around for this kind of pen? I wonder how you get cogs to be on different planes in the blank and to stay put until the resin goes off.

As for Rolex faces, it may be best to look for a fake rolex, they are everywhere in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and cost from $10.

Regards
Peter

ugrad

Okay, I searched the forum for more details and I found that the parts are CA glued to the painted tube, but each one of these pens I have seen here look as though the cogs are on different planes rather than all touching the tube.

Regards
Peter

Okay, I searched the forum for more details and I found that the parts are CA glued to the painted tube, but each one of these pens I have seen here look as though the cogs are on different planes rather than all touching the tube.

Regards
Peter
Excuse my ignorance. What is WIP?
I used Elmer's white glue to glue the parts. In my opinion works way better than CA as I had bad reactions of CA in the resin before. I even sealed with it the area where the tube and the plug meet, to avoid air bubbles coming out of the tube. I fill the tubes with gunshot to avoid floating and to have the less amount of air possible inside the tube.
I used to make my plugs out of wood, but wood always bubbles when the resin is curing. I now cast the cheapest resin I can find in 3/4" PVC tubes and then I turn my plugs out of those.
Every piece is glued to the tube, so if you see them floating is just a nice and unintentional effect which may be due to the different thickness of the parts. :)

Last edited:

ugrad

Excuse my ignorance. What is WIP?
I used Elmer's white glue to glue the parts. In my opinion works way better than CA as I had bad reactions of CA in the resin before. I even sealed with it the area where the tube and the plug meet, to avoid air bubbles coming out of the tube. I fill the tubes with gunshot to avoid floating and to have the less amount of air possible inside the tube.
I used to make my plugs out of wood, but wood always bubbles when the resin is curing. I now cast the cheapest resin I can find in 3/4" PVC tubes and then I turn my plugs out of those.
Every piece is glued to the tube, so if you see them floating is just a nice and unintentional effect which may be due to the different thickness of the parts. :)

Thanks for the info and clarification. What is Elmer's white glue, is it PVA?

WIP is "Work In Progress"

Regards
Peter

So the painted tube is just flat black laqure spray paint right????????

Spray Acrylic Flat black. I get it at my supermarket hardware department. Really cheap because it's their own brand, and so far it's what has worked better for me.

Thanks for the info and clarification. What is Elmer's white glue, is it PVA?

WIP is "Work In Progress"

Regards
Peter
Yeah. I figured that out after it was too late for edit :)

I don't know if white glue is PVA. Sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom