My first vertical cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

I made my first vertical cast the other night. I used an ice cube tray from WalMart. Mixed up enough to fill three "cells". This is the result of that cast. I am very happy with it. I used two colors. One is a tan mica that I added a touch of yellow to, the second color was a brown mica. I let them thicken up a bit to where they were a more like a very thick syrup. I poured the colors into the mould together letting them intertwine as they went in. After about 5 min I took a dental pick and stuck it in each cell, twisted it and pulled it out.

The colors in this are really nice. There is brown, green, gold, yellow. It has a depth that I really like. Since in has the gold in the blank I did not paint the tubes. I don't know that it mattered, but if anything shows through it only adds to the look.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_6219a-web.jpg
    IMG_6219a-web.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_6218a-web.jpg
    IMG_6218a-web.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EarlD

Gary, that's just awesome! Hope you bring it to the meeting tomorrow. I plan to drive up from Albany.

Earl

robutacion

I made my first vertical cast the other night. I used an ice cube tray from WalMart. Mixed up enough to fill three "cells". This is the result of that cast. I am very happy with it. I used two colors. One is a tan mica that I added a touch of yellow to, the second color was a brown mica. I let them thicken up a bit to where they were a more like a very thick syrup. I poured the colors into the mould together letting them intertwine as they went in. After about 5 min I took a dental pick and stuck it in each cell, twisted it and pulled it out.

The colors in this are really nice. There is brown, green, gold, yellow. It has a depth that I really like. Since in has the gold in the blank I did not paint the tubes. I don't know that it mattered, but if anything shows through it only adds to the look.

Thanks for looking.

Definitely, an excellent colour combination and colour blending/effects...!:wink:

One of the things that I've learnt very earlier on with the casting is that for an 100% resin cast, the round vertical mold system is always half of the solution for a interesting blend of colours, something that you can not achieve in a open horizontal mold of 6 to 7 blanks capacity. However, the savings it could offer in resin saving, I wouldn't like to do any of the wood, pods and other bits casted in, in those single round vertical molds so, I suppose, different tools for different jobs, huh...???

Good luck...!:wink:

Cheers
George

arw01

Wowser! That is really cool looking, I think I can even make out some of the iridescence from the Mica powders. Great job!

EarlD

Gary, thanks for bringing your pens to the meeting yesterday. This one is really nice!!!

EarlD

Top Bottom