My first two pens and first pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from whteglve

whteglve

I've only been using the lathe for about two maybe three months. Ok, here goes nothing. Here are my first two pens and my first pencil. Top to bottom. First pen a gold cigar made of walnut with butcher block oil finish. Second a comfort pencil (for my daughter) made of pearl PR (from Woodcraft). You can still see the brass tube, oops, she likes the tint it gives. Of course she could be just saying that. Lastly a chrome cigar made of walnut and maple finished with about ten coats of polycrylic spray.

Ok let me have it.

Ash

Attachments

• Pens and Pencil.jpg
    Pens and Pencil.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim15

Great start, they look good. Not fond of the shape on the third one, but that is just a personal preference. Really like the white one.

whteglve

Thanks Jim the third one actually fits in the crook of my hand when writing. It feels really good. Others can't write with it though. To each their own.

Brandon25

Those are much better than most of the firsts I see. You've started the bar high! Great job on the laminations too. The wood looks a little proud of its fittings on some, but getting that perfect will come with time. Congrats!

I like the cigar pens... both to make and to use. I have to agree with Jim on the third one though...not my cup of tea.... I do like the segmentation on it though.

I have made a few of the comfort pens... I like the kit well enough, but usually leave the rubber thingy off... I think it detracts from a nice pen.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Those are really nice . . . "Firsts." I think it took me a number of pens to get even close to that. The segmenting looks good. I like the way you did it. Can't wait to see what you make when you progress!

whteglve

Thanks guys!
I mangled one this evening a cast piece that took me about two weeks from start to finish. Bubbles and chips a plenty. It's design was something that I haven't seen on here before. Oh well live and learn.

markgum

Not sure about the spray finish; but it could just be the photo. However, your off to a great start. can't wait to see more of your work.

Top Bottom