My first two pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

First, many thanks go out to JimGo for his hospitality, and for letting me into his workshop to turn these pens while I wait for Santa to bring me a lathe. Jim, I greatly appreciate all the tips you provided me, looking forward to turning more pens in 2006!

First ever pen, a Cigar with Purpleheart, finished with BLO/CA.

And my second pen is a Slimline, with homebrew orange Poly Resin.

Please, please, be critical of these pens, it is the only way I can improve!

Cheers,
Draken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JHFerrell

Mornin'... they look a lot better than my first two did![:I] Like the cigar, looks nice. On the slimline, it looks like the barrels are a little proud at the center band. Suppose it could just be the picture, but... I do like that orange and black combo....very appropriate for this time of year. All in all, looks like some really good work. Keep it up.

JimGo

I've been waiting for these pics! I was giving you 'till this evening, then I was going to start publicly harassing you to post 'em! They look great, especially for 1st and 2nd attempts. You should have seen him...he was a natural! He had ribbons of PR curling ALL OVER my shop! [:D]

James, it was a pleasure to have you visit, and I promise next time, the house will look better. Thanks again for all the stuff for the baby; I'm sure we'll put it all to good use!

wood-of-1kind

Very glad to read this sort of posting since I believe that this is the 'true' spirit of IAP and what the members mean to one another. Sure beats reading about the bickerings and small minded pettiness that gets posted from time to time. [:D]

gerryr

Very nice job. It's great to have someone who can help you when you first start. I didn't figure out I needed to trim the wood flush with the tube until I had a couple of them crack on me during assembly. The instructions I had said cut the wood 1/4" longer than the tube, but it never said to trim them flush.

Draken

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. To reply to a few...

JHFerrell, thank you for pointing out that I was proud of the centerband, hadn't yet noticed that. The lower barrel is actually flush, but the upper barrel is indeed proud. Funny how photos can show something that is overlooked by the naked eye. In fact the PR looks more sparkely in the photo then it does in person, must be the flash.

JimGo, sorry for the delay, went with the family to Kings Dominion for Fear Fest, when I got home and wanted to take photos, the camera batteries were dead. So I got up a bit early this morning so I could take the photos and crop/resize them and get them online. Didn't want too long to go before posting them and thanking you again for all your help, as Wood-of-1kind mentioned, for showing the spirit of the IAP. We'll both have to have a baby show and tell the next time we have a pen show and tell at Woodcraft. [8D] Thanks also for the suggestion of the white trash can for a photo booth. The wife was asking what it was doing in the living room... (Psst, my house looks worse, and I moved in 5 years ago, so no worries here.)

Coach and Gerryr, Jim was a big help and without him, these pens wouldn't have come out nearly as well. I certainly plan on keeping them, but will be showing them off. A few people at work have seen them and were impressed. I can almost smell my first sell...

Thanks again everyone, and once Santa stops by, there will be more to come!
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom