My first two antler / shell casing pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from punkinn

punkinn

Got the shell casing kits from Gary and three pcs of pre-drilled antler from Augum's. I wasn't sure how I wanted the antler to look, shape-wise and the kits came with a center band (which I don't think I'd use next time but it looks okayish with it, too), but this is what I came up with. The antler really dulled my tools quickly but it polished up beautifully. The second one (last three pics) is for my son's 20th birthday next month (he's an avid hunter) - I really liked the texture and markings of that one. I guess the other one will go up on my website for sale.

1_IMG_0434.jpg

1_IMG_0436.jpg

1_IMG_0437.jpg

1_IMG_0439.jpg

1_IMG_0440.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

I like the casing pens without the CB. I always make mine without. I also like mine with lots of marrow. But that is a hit and miss. Nice pair of pens.

punkinn

Thanks Jim and Steve. I don't think I would use the CB again, but had already worked that one piece of antler down past the dimensions where it looked good against the shell without it - and I wasn't about to ditch that piece of antler, it was too sweet! :)

rd_ab_penman

Well done for your first Antler Caps.
I like the one without the center band.
Too bad the brass has all the scratch marks
going around the circumference.
You should be able to polish out all the scratches.

Les

lsldh

I want to make some pens just like the ones you have made. What type of internals did you use and how did you prep the shell casing? Any help would be appreciated.

Rick_G

A couple good looking pens there. Your son will be happy with that one. I agree about the CB on that one. Just to small for the pen.. I will use a CB for my 308 and 243 pens but I use the back end of another cartridge so the thickness is the same.

keandkafu

Very nice! I agree with the others, loose the C/B. Before you give them, put the case back in your lathe and polish the fine scratches out of the brass cases. You can MM all the way then use a good brass polish, it will remove all of the visable scratches and give the brass a tarnish resistance.

Kevin

PenPal

Nancy

Wow, always room to add something with cartridge pens I believe in life that is for me you have to ride the motor bike at least once without the muffler. Your pens with the centre bands are different and I like them as well. You dont look old enough to have a twenty year old ie looking at your pens, your approach is to be commended. Now I agree with my mate from Canada who has consistently set a world high in finishing the brasses on his pens. He is a fount of knowledge and will share with you how he prepares and finishes his brasses. Be sure only pen makers look so deeply into others work and the recipient your son will only see the care and thoughtfull presentation you make to him, I trust he enjoys your work to the full and you never resile from your penmaking and allow the receivers to see what they do in your pens. So many in trying to overimpress denigrate ourselves unneccessarily leave room for the receiver to tell you.

Well done the presentation is great.

Regards Peter.

Jgrden

In your web site you show a drawing of a persons hand holding one of your pens. THANK GOD YOU SHOWED HOW TO CORRECTLY HOLD A PEN. I think that picture shuld be hung right next to every alphabet display in every class room in the United States.

Rick_G

I am interested in making some pens like yours but don't know which type of nib to use for the casing. Any help would be appreciated

For the 30-06 and 308 casings a slim line nib will match the outside of the casing. I prefer to use an actual bullet. I will melt the lead and drill it for the refill.

Sylvanite

If you want to make a rifle cartridge pen with a slimline nib, then the easiest caliber to use is 308 Winchester. GaryMax sells prepped and tubed cases here from time to time. If you want to use a real bullet for the nib (as I do), I'd recommend starting with 30-06 Springfield. It isn' all that difficult to drill out the case and bullet or you can buy preassembled cartridges. I (and others) sell kits with assembled cartridges. All you need to do is turn the upper barrel. You can view my kits at the url listed in my signature.

Regards,
Eric

fernhills

Very nice work,MM the brass at a slow speed and you will surprised at how smooth it turns out.. There was a fellow named Eagle who once told me to use exclusively pen parts when making this type of pen. Something about 3 or 4 sentences long about being pure to your craft. I enjoyed browsing your sites. Carl

Top Bottom