My first turned pens (mostly Brazilian woods)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Menini

Menini

Hi!!

These are the first pens I turned.

The woods are jacarandá-marrom (brown rosewood), jacarandá-caviúna (Brazilian rosewood), pau-sangue (a species of bloodwood), cedro-rosa (Spanish cedar), nó de sequoia (redwood burl), and sucupira. Five of them are Brazilian woods (except redwood burl).

Finishing was 6-7 coats of cianoacrylate (except for the redwood pen) and carnaúba wax. I do not have the micro mesh yet...

I had some difficulty to make the ends, close to the bushings, and I know it is necessary to improve the finishing. But I am satisfied with this initial experience.

Cheers!

Attachments

• brown rosewood.jpg
    brown rosewood.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 263
  • Brazilian rosewood.jpg
    Brazilian rosewood.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 257
  • bloodwood.jpg
    bloodwood.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Spanish cedar.jpg
    Spanish cedar.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 225
  • redwood burl.jpg
    redwood burl.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 244
  • sucupira.jpg
    sucupira.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

You have some very nice woods to play with. The Rosewoods are not allowed to be imported here any more. The fit and finish will come with practice. Do you have a source in South America for the pen kits or do you have to order them from other continents?

OZturner

Excellent Pens, Luiz.
Great Assortment of Local Timber Blanks.
Fit and Finish, is quite Good, I could not locate any Poor Fits.
I wouldn't worry about putting 6 or 7 Coats of CA, until you can get some abrasive paper fine enough to give you a fine finish on the bare wood.
Congratulations on a Fine Effort,
Brian.

Eldermike

Nice job. You will be an expert with the finish with practice. The micro mesh will be a great addition and skill builder with the finishing. Practice your finishing on less costly wood - I did a lot of practice on recycled furniture wood cut to a blank size.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Menini

Hi everyone!! Thanks!!

I really appreciated all of your kind comments, tips and encouragement. It is very important to beginners like myself.

In fact, we have very beautiful woods in Brazil, and I am very proud of them!

You have some very nice woods to play with. The Rosewoods are not allowed to be imported here any more. The fit and finish will come with practice. Do you have a source in South America for the pen kits or do you have to order them from other continents?

Thanks!! Rosewoods are threatened with extinction and I use only scraps of reclaimed/salvaged wood. It is not possible to buy new woods of these species.

We do not have a source here in South America for nothing related to penturning. We need to import from Australia, Canada, China, Europe (especially United Kingdom), and United States all of the material: pen kits, pen mandrel and related parts, special abrasives like micro mesh, etc. It is very difficult once the customs taxes are 60% of the products values.

Very well done. Good job on the photography, what is the purple item holding the pens up?

Thanks!! The piece holding the pens is a Jatobá fruit.

Top Bottom