My first try at a segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I guess you can call this a segmented pen. I use some of the ash handle and two small pieces of walnut. I used epoxy for the glue up and let it set for about 15 hours. I was a bit scared when I turned it wondering if the two half's would come apart. I'm really pleased an how it came out. As always any and all comments are welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look at my work.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 498
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

Nice pen. Segmenting can be a lot of fun and the different types of plating components can really show off your work. I like to use the satin gold and satin silver as well as gold and chrome.
Gun metal is a nice plating as well.
I usually get some in slim style and comfort style.
Comfort style primarily.
I do all of my segmenting after drilling the hole, squaring the end(s) that will join and CA gluing them to the tube.
I have various sizes of small 7 mm sections of tubes that I put in the segments to square up the pieces. I usually round the pieces on the lathe first. What I do is put the tube in the drilled blank WITHOUT glue, tighten up on the mandrel and turn round. I turn it to size after the blank is segmented and glued up and squared.
By not having the tube glued in while prepping the blank , I can cut it to whatever size I need .

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you firewhatfire and jeager for your nice comments. I gave the pen to Evelyn since it such a special pen for me and she is so special to me. I'll be trying some more of this kind of pen

SteveJ

Thank you firewhatfire and jeager for your nice comments. I gave the pen to Evelyn since it such a special pen for me and she is so special to me. I'll be trying some more of this kind of pen

I'm hoping that's Evelyn with her head on your shoulder...:)

I like the look - seems like the walnut is the same thickness on both tubes. Perhaps you should make one for yourself with the segments reverses (walnut near the center band).

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Williman Menard and SMJ1957 for you great comments and yes that is Evelyn my wonderful wife , girl friend , best friend and everything of 15 years. The walnut is the same thickness on both ends.

Last edited:

Ken W

Nice pen Dan, I just glued up my first segmented pen this afternoon so seeing yours was inpiring.
Curious when you went to PR (a) school I was at Lakehurst in Jan of 82 .

Take care
Ken

Ambidex

Very nice Dan! Seeing yours makes me want to try again. I have blown up three and decided to get away from the frustration. Thanks for the unintended but welcome nudge:biggrin:

PeterBkk7

Hi,

be careful… you will get hooked…. i started this a long time ago and now most of my pens have some contrasting woods.
Another thing you might like to try… when you have drilled your blanks and inserted the brass tubes, make the blanks just a bit longer and trim the excess off on the bandsaw….
Save all the bits, glue them on a new tube and you have a whole heap of colours on one pen…..
kids love them…

also, if you save the bits and have a bit of a disaster when turning the blank, maybe the end chips off, you will have a selection of bits you can stick on the end and not waste the time/effort you have already spent.

cheers
pete

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I'm glad I was able to give you a little nudge Ambidex I hope you have more success this time. Pete I'm already thinking about my next project. I don't have a bandsaw but I'm planning on saving the cutoffs from my mitersaw when I prep my blanks. I'll start out with one of the slimline kits I have since I have some extra tubes.

Last edited:

StuartCovey

Looks good. Now that you have your feet wet do the next set with a 45 degree cut.

Great work! I agree with firewhatfire about now trying some angled cuts. I've also done it where I cut a squiggle down the length of the tube and put a thin piece of wood in and clamp it down. Comes out pretty nice and unique.

IMG_4307.jpg

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Brian, Stuart, sanyalsoumitra, Pitton & Mike S. for you nice comments. I'm not sure what I'm going to try next but thanks to Stuart showing off then pen he made I'm going to have to get some veneer.

Top Bottom