My first truestone experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

My first pen using truestone. To the newbies like me out there, don't let this material intimidate you. Because of it’s stunning looks I have wanted to try some for a while now but just reading the phrase "real stone" and the fear of dulling tools scared me off, that and of course the price!

Finally when randbcrafts posted some for sale in the classifieds at half the price found elsewhere, I thought, what the heck, and ordered a variety sampling. I’m glad I did, I really enjoy working with this material.

A Jr Gentleman ballpoint with black acrylic and Gaspaite truestone….

2007910142251_segment-black-Gaspaite.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keapople

Thats GREAT! I love this stuff too...very nice results, and easy to get a great finish on.

Good inlay work..

Kirby

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautifully done, George.

However, IMO, the trustone is not enhanced by the segmentation.

Hopefully, this will open a "pro-and-con" conversation.

What do others think about segmenting a pattern, such as is found in tru-stone?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />...What do others think about segmenting a pattern, such as is found in tru-stone?
Hey, that's one of the reasons I post photos of my pens, to get opinions as to whether I'm heading in the right direction or sliding off the plate. I'm all ears! [:D]

Actually I thought of that but got to thinking back to some of the other segmented pens I made using red and gold amboyna burls which are highly figured wood or the latest two colored box elder burls.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks George.

I knew YOU would not take offense, but your assertion of same MAY encourage discussion. (Others may not KNOW what an OPEN-MINDED codger you are!!)[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Brewmeister35

I have to agree that it doesn't always look great segmented. I saw one posted a couple weeks ago that was fantastic but for the most part, the pattern of the true-stone is almost lost by segmenting. It is a very nice pen though. [;)]

GaryMGg

Ed and George,

The craftsmanship exhibited on the pen shown is outstanding. I like the black and green but would have to see it in person to decide if the segmentation breaks up the pattern of the trustone too much. In the photo, I'm inclined to think it does. However, as in my recent knotted pen post wherein Chuck asked `where's the lower ring?', in hand it may look very different.

Having offered no definitve answer, [:p][}:)], I do think the fact that the segmentation is so clean offers new alternatives. Now I'm wondering how it'd look with two different patterns running through it?

randbcrafts

I for one, like segmenting with tru-stone. I think they work very well mixing materials but it does depend a lot on the colors that you use. I've only had time to do one so far but I do look forward to doing some more soon. George, I think this one turned out very nice. Red jasper or maybe a white turquoise would also look good with the black acrylic imo.
Wood mixes well with the tru-stone as well. I have a picture of one in my album that I think turned out nice.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I personally think it is a matter of what the segmenting is done with. This pen looks good and the quality is really top notch. But, to me, in this case the BLACK if the acylic doesn't tie into the Gaspiate at all. If it were a segmenting that matched the color of the highlites in the blank I think it would look better.

GK

Texatdurango

Actually, my first choice for the acrylic part was a solid gold blank but I didn't have one so black it was.

Lots of good thoughts and don't ever worry about me being offended if the comments are constructive. I think hearing opinions are what spawn new ideas and people thinking of new approaches or in my case... old approaches that have been forgotten way before I started making pens.

Another thought... I wonder if it would have looked better to use black veneer to seperate the green segments as I have with my other segments?

rsx1974

"Another thought... I wonder if it would have looked better to use black veneer to seperate the green segments as I have with my other segments?"

I personally love segmented pens. I very much agree with your statement. The additional black to seperate your green segments I think would have looked very sharp and clean.

That said, I do really like what you have done, great proportions, excelent execution. A pen to be very proud of.

neon007

I like it. However I think it would have looked a little better if there was maybe a sliver of something gold between the stone and acrylic. Just my opinion. Great craftsmanship and finish though. Your segmented pens are some or the best I have seen.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by angboy
<br />So how do you make that pattern anyway? I'm having a hard time visualizing how you get the shape cut out of the green?

They say a photo is worth a thousand words, let's see......

I'm working up a tutorial on my website and here is one photo which I think will show how these segments come together. In the pen above, there are 10 individual parts glued together. If you get accurate mating parts the glue bond is very hard to see. Actually I like this truestone because bonding with epoxy, the glue line is very hard to see even holding the pen in your hand.

If interested, drop me a line and I'll send you the whole tutorial site when it's done.

George
200791141651_segments%20clamped.jpg
<br />

fiferb

I think this pen would have looked better if it was the black acrylic with the green highlights. Or, the opposite of this one. Great job!

mb757

The pen looks great. What are you using for the black line? Is it dyed black wood veneer or is it gasket material? Thanks Mark

Texatdurango

Originally posted by mb757
<br />The pen looks great. What are you using for the black line? Is it dyed black wood veneer or is it gasket material? Thanks Mark
In the pen directly above I used black dyed veneer purchased from Woodcraft. The green and black pen in the first post had nothing between the segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom