My first true bullet pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from texaswoodworker

I've been wanting to try this for awhile now, and I have to say, this was probably the most challenging pen I've ever done. A lot of trial and error went into it, but I turned out great. The cartridge is a 30-06 with a 150gr Hornady SP bullet. The upper half is deer antler with a Designer/Euro clip.

I have a question for you guys that have mastered making these. The bullet is pretty hollow and the mouth of the bullet is a little too large to support the ink cartridge after I remove the lead. I filled it with resin and drilled it out to work. What do you guys do? Also, do you clear coat the brass with anything to prevent it from tarnishing, or do you just leave it natural?

11b766e4d3a67608194a37ec61551f56.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

Nicely done.
Don't use Soft Point bullets for nibs to avoid too large a hole for the refill tip.
Use Hollow Point bullets or FMJ bullets then you can drill the tip to fit either Cross (#46 drill bit)or Parker style refills (#36 drill bit).
I clean, polish and cost all my bullets and cartridges with thinned out lacquer using my dipping method to help reduce tarnishing.
Some people like the left "Army.

Les

Attachments

• Making a Cross Style Bullet Nib.pdf
    139.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Making a Parker Style Bullet Nib.pdf
    129.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

lorbay

If you hold the bullet in a collet chuck you can take the back side of a rounded skew (either side actually) and roll the copper over the end a bit
I have since changed bullet tips to the Hornady brand that have a red plastic tip. Once melted it leaves the correct size hole.
Lin

Thanks for the kind words and great advise fellas! :)

You could try the Barnes solid copper bullets.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I've looked at them before, but man they are not cheap!

Nicely done.
Don't use Soft Point bullets for nibs to avoid too large a hole for the refill tip.
Use Hollow Point bullets or FMJ bullets then you can drill the tip to fit either Cross (#46 drill bit)or Parker style refills (#36 drill bit).
I clean, polish and cost all my bullets and cartridges with thinned out lacquer using my dipping method to help reduce tarnishing.
Some people like the left "Army.

Les

About how durable is the lacquer clear coat? I'm trying to decide between powder coating them, or using lacquer. I have some FMJ bullets for some other calibers, so I'll give it a try and see how it goes. :)

If you hold the bullet in a collet chuck you can take the back side of a rounded skew (either side actually) and roll the copper over the end a bit
I have since changed bullet tips to the Hornady brand that have a red plastic tip. Once melted it leaves the correct size hole.
Lin

Do you remember if it was the SST or the A-MAX line of bullets? I'll have to pick up a couple boxes and give them a try.

Top Bottom