My First Tru-stone. Wow...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from islandturner

islandturner

I bought five tru-stone blanks and turned the first today for a Spring Blossom kit -- red with gold streaks. I am blown away with how good the stuff looks when it comes off the buffer. It was easier to turn than I thought -- with sharp tools and slow going, it was easier than antler....

(OK, going to try again with the photos)

6513295415_17dc9b4d51_b.jpg

6513295785_42f2443ffe_b.jpg

6513295667_0a4bac7706_b.jpg

6513295501_9a9816ff3e_b.jpg

Does anyone use CA on tru-stone? These were right off the buffer and hut polished.

Here's another from today -- found a few Filagree kits that have been lost for about a year. The wood is African Blackwood.

6513295277_e5e91807fd_b.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCR0LL3R

That looks stunning!

I just did my first Tru Stone a few days ago and it was easier to turn than I expected as well. It took time but was less difficult than some brittle acrylics I've gotten.

I put CA but I now see that most people don't and it looks great without it. I can see slight ripples within my CA finishes in sunlight and could have avoided that on the TruStone had I checked on here before turning :). My pen still turned out great though and I ordered 10 more Tru Stone blanks!

islandturner

I put CA but I now see that most people don't and it looks great without it. I can see slight ripples within my CA finishes in sunlight and could have avoided that on the TruStone had I checked on here before turning :). My pen still turned out great though and I ordered 10 more Tru Stone blanks!

Hey Keith,

I'd love to see a photo of it...

Cheers
Steve

76winger

The red with Gold matrix was the first Trustone I turned as well. It's gorgeous stuff and the pen you put it on does it proud (or it the pen).

G1Pens

I've seen the pictures since you made the post.

Very nice looking pen. I really like that blank on that kit. Guess I'm going to have to do one like that....not to be a copy cat....but I really like it.

I have had that same blank for about a year sitting in the cabinet. I got an Emporer kit a few months ago and wasn't sure what I wanted to put on it... Now I do:biggrin: Thanks for showing me what it will look like. Great job on your pen.

SCR0LL3R

Hey Keith,

I'd love to see a photo of it...

Cheers
Steve

I feel weird posting it in your thread but here it is... This awesome blank was a freebee from Ed and Dawn! They knew what they were doing... the first taste is free, then it'll cost ya!

22k full sized Statesman w/ Heritance nib.

Attachments

• trustone-22k-executive2-lr.jpg
    trustone-22k-executive2-lr.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 116
  • trustone-22k-executive-lr.jpg
    trustone-22k-executive-lr.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 113

IPD_Mrs

Steve you did a fantastic job with that Tru-stone - I love the kit and the look of the two together. Great eye for detail as the kit brings out the gold in the TS. I also like the 2nd pen. That is one kit that we ditched after making one for a customer and not really enjoying the experience - but you certainly did a fantastic job with it as well. Your cuts look good and that Blackwood shows off the kit beautifully.

Linda

islandturner

I feel weird posting it in your thread but here it is... This awesome blank was a freebee from Ed and Dawn! They knew what they were doing... the first taste is free, then it'll cost ya!
22k full sized Statesman w/ Heritance nib.

Hey Keith, That's very cool -- they do make for a spectacular pen....! Your Statesman kit looks like it was made for that blank. I think it would be a toss up between black/gold and red/gold, as to which I like best. I have a black one too, and will to decide on a nice kit for it. Thanks, Steve

Rick P

Very well done! Kit and blank were made for each other and your fit and finish is spot on!

I too like the truestone blank, banded malichite, I purchased. Unfortunately I had to go and really push the materials limits and it broke. I look forward to working with it again soon.

Top Bottom