My first steam punk pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Krisfiz

Krisfiz

For this steam punk pen I wanted to give the impression of strips of wood used for the body of the pen so tried cutting the oak blank long ways. I did this 4 times and glued in a strip of walnut veneer. Any ideas on doing this accurately would be appreciated. Any way I like the final result as it fits the steam punk theme I think.
Second point is that it is finished first with sanding sealer then 10 layers of CA glue and finally polished. However finish seems to be pitted in places, any ideas on the cause. Any other comments welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 268

thewishman

Looks pretty good from here.

Oak has an open grain and sanding sealer was a good way to deal with it. Was the surface grain fully sealed after that step? I usually go a bit overboard with the sealing step - when everything looks good, I'll do another bit of sanding and leave the sanding dust on a strip of sandpaper, add a couple of drops of thin CA and work that slurry into the blank, then lightly sand it off. I may repeat that step once or twice more, it doesn't take more than a minute or so. It is so much easier to overdo it and end up good, than to apply the finish and then have to strip it back off and start over.

Krisfiz

Thanks for the tips Chris, I might have to spend more time on the sanding sealer stage but thought the 10 layers of ca would sort it out. I'll try it next time.

Top Bottom