My First Solo Pen...Finally...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Josh Gertz

Josh Gertz

So after receiving a broken drill press and band saw on Thursday, today I ran to HF and grabbed a miter saw box, hand saw, and a MT2 Drill chuck so I can at least start making something.

So I started a Slimline kit and accidentally got the brass tube glued to the barrel trimmer...cant get it off, I need some CA Release or something. So no slimlines for the time being but I also bought 9 Carbara kits form AZ Silhouette as well so I moved on to those.

Worked out much better for me. I still had a bit of a problem trimming the barrells, maybe the Honey Locust was just really hard but I ended up doing it on the Lathe as well...might need a new power drill.

So here it is; a 24K Gold Carbara kit from AZ Silhouette on Honey Locust.

Attachments

• Pen.jpg
    Pen.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rwyoung

Go to the hardware store and get a pint of acetone. That works wonders when you start gluing yourself and other stuff together with CA...

Off to a great start! Congratulations!

artistwood

pen barrel stuck to pen mill shaft......butane lighter, pliers and pull. just heat it up....comes right off. i'm not saying how i know that. wouldn't be so bad if i'd just quit doing it over and over.....bear

rwyoung

pen barrel stuck to pen mill shaft......butane lighter, pliers and pull. just heat it up....comes right off. i'm not saying how i know that. wouldn't be so bad if i'd just quit doing it over and over.....bear

p.s. skip the acetone in this method... :eek::eek::eek:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Another good source for acetone is the "finger nail" area at Walmart. You can buy a pint bottle and I find it easier to use than the metal cans. I have a small plastic jar that I keep 2 or 3 ounces of acetone in on my bench. I toss in CA tips that clog, micro tips and bushings with CA coatings on them. This way I always have an clean tip ready if one gets clogged with glue.

Josh Gertz

Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone...

Got one more to show as well:

24K Carbara with Lacewood (From CSue, the Honey Locust was from JClarke58)

Attachments

• Pen2.jpg
    Pen2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 108

mickr

I'd leave the pen mill in there..I hate squaring ends with them..they can cause terrific blowouts..if they are at all dull, lookout and can crack plastics...if you find down the road you hate losing blanks, you can do a great job on a sander..this method has served me well for many many years, and I don't lose blanks

Top Bottom