My first solo ("at home") pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dthayer

dthayer

Hello all!

Yesterday I posted a picture of the first pen I did Saturday at a Woodcraft workshop where I got a lot of great help. This is the first pen I did on "solo" on my new lathe at home:

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

I made the blank last week before getting the lathe to give myself something to do. The majority of it is Bethlehem Olivewood. The cross is Bloodwood and the "ground" is Bocote (@mmayo - the last two are from the batch of cutoffs you gave me!).

I like the way it turned out but was a bit disappointed at how visible the seam is at the top of the cross -- oh well... something to work on.

I couldn't have done this without the knowledge that I have gleaned from this site over the last few months. A big THANK YOU to all!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hello all!

Yesterday I posted a picture of the first pen I did Saturday at a Woodcraft workshop where I got a lot of great help. This is the first pen I did on "solo" on my new lathe at home:

I made the blank last week before getting the lathe to give myself something to do. The majority of it is Bethlehem Olivewood. The cross is Bloodwood and the "ground" is Bocote (@mmayo - the last two are from the batch of cutoffs you gave me!).

I like the way it turned out but was a bit disappointed at how visible the seam is at the top of the cross -- oh well... something to work on.

I couldn't have done this without the knowledge that I have gleaned from this site over the last few months. A big THANK YOU to all!!!

I think that, you started by raising your own bar quite significantly, influentiated from the quality you see among so many IAP members work and that is OK, you just have to push yourself harder to keep up, that's all...!

For someone with so little experience, your general barrel shapes, fit and finish are quite good however, sometimes "less" is better and that is the case with this pen of yours where, was no need for the segmentation on the lower part of the top barrel and if a segmentations was to be inserted, it would have been better to have it at the top end of the barrel to disguise that joint line that, and as you well noted and admitted, does spoil the appearance slightly

Your choice of wood is a good one and one of my prefered timbers that goes always well with any type of "cross" and most pen kits but your choice, was also very appropriate.

I apologize for giving you some feedback, my honest and constructive opinion when, you didn't ask but, I hope you see the positive side of it...!

Keep up the good work,

Cheers
George

dthayer

I apologize for giving you some feedback, my honest and constructive opinion when, you didn't ask but, I hope you see the positive side of it...!

Cheers
George

George,

You never need to apologize to me for good constructive criticism which is exactly what you gave -- I appreciate it, thanks!

robutacion

Cheers
George

George,

You never need to apologize to me for good constructive criticism which is exactly what you gave -- I appreciate it, thanks!

No problemo...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom