My first solo cigar - curly bubinga

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thewishman

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewishman

2006331234450_Curly%20bubinga%20cigar.jpg

The chatoyancy is beautiful!!

Please let me know what you think - good, bad, ugly ... (the pen not the photography)

The top barrel was turned down to the bushings (even rotated it independently of the bushings while turning (just as you taught me Billy)) and it still came out larger than the center band ring at all but one point. Any suggestions on a correction?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pete00

howdy

ive never made a cigar so i dont know what its supposed to look like.
HOWEVER from what i can see, it dont look bad at all with the top barrel even with the center band.
pete

JimGo

Very nice! Sounds like you have the dreaded "out of round" (don't jump on me guys!) problem. You'll probably see this near the center section of the bottom barrel too. It's can be due to a variety of factors, including having the tailstock set too firm, the mandrel being bent, the blanks not being square to the tubes, the head/tailstock not being in alighnment, the bushings not being square on the ends, and a whole lot of other factors. Some of these can be easily fixed, and others are more difficult. If, like me, you're lazy and don't want to try to fix them all (though there are obvious advantages to fixing the problem that I am not trying to minimize or trivialize), simply do the following:
1) Loosten the knurled nut when you're done rough-turning to a cylindrical shape - if the nut is too tight, the mandrel will bow because of the forces exerted on it and/or the bushings/blanks.
2) Turn the pen to the basic shape, close to the bushings. Loosten the nut again, and turn the blanks 1/4 turn on the bushings (i.e., keep everything in the same orientation except the blank). Hand-tighten the nut, and touch up the shape. Repeat 3 more times.

This should get you pretty close. If you're really anal, repeat #2 a few times during your sanding stages, too.

thewishman

Thanks, Pete and Jim.

Jim, I tried step #2 a couple of times - guess I'll just have to try is more frequently.

I am turning each barrel separately - as per my hands-on instructors Billy and Alan.

A fun and interesting addiction (penturning) I am developing. Now if I can just keep from getting CA on my fingers...

OSCAR15

Wishman..Overall great first cigar. It is one of my favorites. I agree witrh JimGo.
Sounds like you are out of round. I have always turned <b>both</b> barrel halves together on the mandrell without any problems. Keep it up and yes it is addictive. You can spend a small fortune doing this. Down the road, you may want to start selling them to offset your expenses. OSCAR

DocStram

At first I thought the out of roundness was maybe due to the lines running thru the background. But, after reading the posts I guess I was wrong. Every mistake is an opportunity for learning. As for me, I'm having lots of opportunities to learn.

woodwish

Nice pen.

Funny screen name, that is what my students call me (an adaptation of my real last name - Wishart). I started to use it when I registered here but used another variation. How did you choose "Wishman"? Just curious.[8D]

thewishman

Thanks all for the comments!

Al, my learning opportunities are certainly getting ahead of my learning capacity. [;)]

Ray, I was executive director for two Make-A-Wish Foundation chapters, hence my handle.

Charles

Nice pen, Finish is very good. Take all above advice on out of round solutions and you will see where your problem is coming from. Keep it up and let us see your next one. We love pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom