My First Slim Line Pen (Ever)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Big1011Guy

Big1011Guy

I started woodworking about 6 months ago. I am 63 years young and on Disability. I got tired of sitting on my rear end watching TV or sitting at the computer. I bought a Wen#3420 Mini Lathe a month ago and then the pen turning supplies Last Week. I turned my First Pen yesterday 2/4/18 and it was a BLAST. I have OCD which can be a bad or good thing when it comes to Woodworking, lol. I am very pleased with my First Ever Turned Pen and am planning on doing a whole lot more.
This Slim Line Pen is from an Olivewood Blank that was included in the Pen Turning Starters Kit from Rockler.
OldMcDonaldWoodworking (Guy McDonald)

Attachments

• Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings.jpg
    Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings2.jpg
    Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 159
  • Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings3.jpg
    Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings4.jpg
    Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings4.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Welcome to the IAP family, you could not have found a better place to join in...!

Olive wood is my preferred wood, and you have done a great job on that pen, good body/barrel shape, great fit and finish so, you show some natural talent and ability that will only can be a great benefit from here onwards...!:wink:

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

Mr Vic

Welcome aboard Guy. Pen looks great. Have you any instruction on turning or did you just go for it?

Sataro

Welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of information here. Folks here are friendly & will gladly answer any questions you may have. Olivewood is a very nice wood to work with. I enjoy using it on my pens. Your pen looks very nice. You did a great job on it!

magpens

Hello Guy, and Welcome to IAP !! . Nice looking pen and you have displayed it well .... I love Olivewood also !

Write a little message in the Introductions forum and your name will be entered in a prize drawing for newcomers to IAP.

Last edited:

Happy

Welcome. Great looking pen. This hobby is addictive ...and when you are not in the shop turning you can spend some quality time in front of the computer on this amazing site. So much to learn and it is being taught by some of the finest and nicest folks from around the world. They are humble artists willing to share their knowledge with anyone who asks.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

OZturner

I gave a short Critque, on the other Post Guy,
Please keep this first pen for yourself, put it aside and use it as a gauge over the coming Weeks, Month and Years, to see and compare your progress.
You are starting from an Excellent Position as you have produced a Fantastic First Pen.

In my opinion, the Slim Line is the most difficult pen kit to make, so for you that makes it that you have to strive to improve, what is already excellent, now that's a Challenge.

My youngest Grandson, is now 15, and was diagnosed 18 months ago with OCD, and it is something New for us to adapt and accommodate.
Our daughter, his Mother is having a real rough ride, we are also having difficulty, in trying to support the both of them emotionally.
His big concern is "Contamination" of every thing around him, he is beginning to develop work arounds to avoid them, but as soon as you put one concern away another pop's up and takes it's place.
But we live in Hope.
Regards and good wishes for you, and as I said in the other Post, Thank you for Your Service.
Brian.

Top Bottom