My first Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from txbob

Status
Not open for further replies.

txbob

I enjoyed spending Sunday afternoon with Ron Mc in his shop, and he let me use his lathe to make my first Sierra. Thanks Ron. For those that don't know, I live & travel in an RV and don't have a lathe with me, so I really enjoy it when I get a chance to turn a pen.

The blank is from YoYo Ed, a beautiful black & white with silver sparkles. Any comments are welcome.

txbob

200641218353_Sierra1A.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Nice one Bob!

I am sorry our plan to meet never materialized. When my weekend schedule stabilized a bit...I'll let you know and see if we can get together too. [:)]

Ron Mc

That one looks familiar! Bob...I have started trying some of the turning techniques you introduced me to. I'm coming along just utterly......well lets once again say, "Bob...I have started trying some of the turning techniques you introduced me to."[;)][:D]

txbob

To all, thanks for the compliments. It was just fun making a pen again.

Randy, I have a Jet Mini and a Carbatec, so a lathe isn't the problem. It's having room in the motorhome to carry it.

Mark, thanks. You have a safe trip back east and we'll see you in Benson next winter.

txbob

Originally posted by tetrault
<br />Hey Bob, nice pen. We left Benson Az on Sunday and made it to Albuquerque. I miss my lathe already!!!

Safe travels my friend.

Mark[:D]

Scott

Hey Bob!

Beautiful pen! You haven't lost anything!

We're looking forward to seeing you this summer, if you have the chance! Which reminds me, I need to get that campground information.

For those who don't know Bob, he travels around the country with his Wife and little dog, teaching the more fortunate of us how to turn pens. I remember my first visit with Bob. He very nicely watched me turn a pen, and then quietly said "You know, that's not how you use a skew!" [:I] Thanks Bob! (I'm still not sure I know how to use a skew!)

Scott.

Randy_

Originally posted by txbob
<br />.....Randy, I have a Jet Mini and a Carbatec, so a lathe isn't the problem. It's having room in the motorhome to carry it.

Bob: The reason I suggested the Wilton is because I'm under the impression that it is somewhat smaller than a standard mini lathe. Just tried to confirm that on their web site; but the specs are not listed. You could email JET(they sell the Wilton) and ask them if you are interested.

And another alternative would be to look at the JET Pen Lathe. This puppy can literally fit in a standard size briefcase......weighs only 11 lbs. Now let me warn you, this is not anywhere close to a full sized lathe and does have some limitations; but it will make a decent pen and in your situation, anything might be better than nothing. There have been some discussions of its shortcomings. Use the search function to find them and if you have any specific questions, email me. I had one. I traded up to a JET mini; but would buy one in a heartbeat if I were in your shoes!!

txbob

Hi Randy,
Thanks for your comments. I just looked at the Wilton for the first time, and that's quite a buy for $99 at Amazon. Looks to be about the same size as my Jet Mini. What I'd really like is a small metal lathe like the Taig, but not while we're traveling.
txbob

txbob

Originally posted by Scott
<br />Hey Bob!
(I'm still not sure I know how to use a skew!)
Scott.
Scott, you were a good student and I've seen you use a skew properly. Your beautiful pens are proof that you know how to use your tools.

We plan to stop by this summer, even though $3/gal diesel fuel may make it painful. We'll spend most of the summer in central Kansas, taking care of Bonnie's parents, so travel will be limited.

Anybody in Kansas want a visit?

txbob &lt;--- just a homeless old man living on the streets [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom