My First Segmenting with Ancient Kauri and IBO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kyaggie

kyaggie

Hello all,

I know that to many on the forum this segmenting job is kids play but we all have to start somewhere, right?. To ad to the eye catching factor of 50,000 year old Ancient Kauri wood, I flanked it with Irish Bog Oak obtained from KeithKarl2007 here on IAP. This was my first stab at segmenting so I took a bunch of tips from various threads to put together a plan. I sized the wood blanks to the same width and height on a tablesaw and since I don't have a bandsaw I cut the segments to length with a compound miter saw. I then stacked the segments in my blank vice and drilled them (I also drilled the aluminum can). I then epoxied everything together on the tube and clamped it all together to cure overnight. Squaring the ends and turning them went without incident and I finished the wood with walnut oil and Penturner's Plus. I'm not a photographer so the pen is not really as dark as it appears in the pictures. The kit is a gun metal Stratus from PSI that was a request from a friend (that I've known since 5th grade in 1976).

Mike

Attachments

• AKIBO1.jpg
    AKIBO1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 288
  • AKIBO2.jpg
    AKIBO2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobs pens 1

I am a rookie and I think you did a great job. The segments are great and for your first one or two looks great. I have been to busy these past two weeks to play with my segments but plan to next week.

Great job and keep showing us your work. bob

Janster

Very nice. IMO it would look even better, ( if possible ), by swapping the woods to break up the dark areas on each end. JMHO. Well done and be well............Jan

kyaggie

IMO it would look even better, ( if possible ), by swapping the woods to break up the dark areas on each end.

Great suggestion, Jan. In this case I wanted the kauri to be the dominant wood so maybe chrome hardware would have been the better choice. Next time though I may switch it up as you suggest.

Mike

Top Bottom