My First Segmented Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phunky_2003

Phunky_2003

This is my first pen segmenting attempt. This for me was extremely difficult. I have no table saw, mitre saw. I built a jig and used a coping saw to cut the pieces. I need to make a jig or something to get the joints tighter, but for my first segmenting I think it turned out ok.

Comments and suggestions please. I'm looking for tips and tricks to get better results.

1_seg1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Fantastic pen James , especially since you used a coping saw to cut the segments . Very impressive !!!
PM Neil (wolftat) , he's a great guy and THE expert on these blanks . I'm sure he has a few tips for you .

Phunky_2003

Fantastic pen James , especially since you used a coping saw to cut the segments . Very impressive !!!
PM Neil (wolftat) , he's a great guy and THE expert on these blanks . I'm sure he has a few tips for you .

Neil is a great guy and I agree the expert on these blanks. I will try to get him in a day or so. I like to try stuff on my own. You do have to pay attention when glueing up on these, I have another about half way done when I noticed I glued some out of order.

Thanks for the comment. Coming from someone like you means alot. With the jig I made it pretty much made it like a mitre sled so it wasnt too bad. With the small pieces I felt safer using that than my other options I have.

Very niec job on the pen, what kind of wood is it made from, aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

I am really at a loss. I believe maple. I'd have to show it to someone else to know for sure. It was 3 of what looked to be matching un Identified pen blanks. If I make another I will use a few different types of blanks to have a color variation.

Thanks for all the comments they are appreciated and help keep me motivated when I am trying new things.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
That pen looks fantastic, especially for your first one. I really respect the fact that you used the tools you had on hand to get the job done. A coping Saw?? WOW!

Top Bottom