My first segmented pen..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from esears

esears

I apologize for the bad pictures, but my camera was dieing and I didn't have time to get the lighting right.

After seeing some of the posts here with the brick like pattern, I figured, hey it can't be too hard. So I ran down to HF and bought a 4.99 mitre box and armed with my trusty eyes and great ability to do straight lines (not) I proceeded to chop up some purpleheart, jatoba, and maple. I knew I wouldn't be able to get it straight since I was working in the kitchen on the counter, so I purposefully glued it together as a slight slant to just make it look unique.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I just glued it together with some medium CA and clamped it for a bit. This is also the first pen I've done solely with a skew. Its amazing how much easier it is now that I seem to have gotten the hang of it a bit. I figure if I can do it with the haphazard way this was glued, I should be able to apply that to anything. Anyways, critiques would be appreciated as it is how I learn =)

Attachments

• P1070192.JPG
    P1070192.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 152
  • P1070194.JPG
    P1070194.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 133
  • P1070198.JPG
    P1070198.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 123

johnnycnc

That looks great, Eric.
I like the pattern and colors of the woods,
Looks like it was pretty well planned to me!
congratulations on the skew work.
(and I have regularly taken worse photos than that!):biggrin:

ldb2000

Great job on that one Eric . Nice pattern and choice of woods . Now that you figured out the skew you can turn anything no matter how hard or brittle it is . You will find that turning a square blank round with your skew instead of a gouge goes allot faster and with almost no chip out . If you want to really test your new skill get a piece of Alabaster or some of the non pliable Tru-stone .

Top Bottom