My first segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skewer

Skewer

Not my first try, but my first completion :wink:.

Walnut and burmese rosewood, thats a piece of aluminum roof flashing in the middle.

These were a couple of scraps, the inverse of which failed to stay together. I tried cutting a quarter circle pattern through with the bandsaw, but it really doesn't show. It also made it harder to glue up. The scraps weren't even sizes, and that didn't help either. I drilled it on the lathe and it came apart there - i just took the part off that failed, drilled the rest of the way , then went back and finished the other side. With a tube in the middle, I re-glued in a clamp.

comments and suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• Capture5.jpg
    Capture5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Capture6.jpg
    Capture6.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Whenever I hear someone is doing a "first" (of anything) I am interested. You do a "first" when reaching out to improve, expand, grow in your skills. So you have done this and also had a failure as part of the learning, and in fact did a "save" to complete the project. Good for you in every respect. That simple segment looks very good on a fairly complex (visually) kit. Nice job overall.

Some of my early failures with segmenting lead me to seek an adhesive with greater strength. I settled on System 3 T-88 epoxy instead of the 5-minute variety. I also am careful to allow full cure time prior to drilling, as that is the place where failure is more likely in my experience.

Keep push the limits...there is always more fun to be had.

RLR350

That looks good. I like the simplicity and that kit - they go well together.

I have had pretty good success with medium stick fast CA for wood to metal and/or plastic. It gives enough time to clamp, but still dries relatively quickly.

Nice work.

Top Bottom