My First & Second Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fulmaduro

Fulmaduro

Hello from Kansas City. Just attempting to post my first and second since starting last week. Both slimlines. 1st is a Woodcraft Gold pencil in Padauk. Second is Woodcraft platinum pen in Bubinga. Both have 5 thin coats of Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, which I have found in my experience (knife handles) to help keep Padauk wood from turning dark.

Never used a lathe until last week, and have to say I am hooked. I sought out the penmaking since I can finish a beautiful pen much faster than a hand forged knife, which is my main passion. The pens are going to help between lengthy knife builds when I get frustrated. Has helped re-motivate me immensely.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

Attachments

• PadaukPencil.jpg
    PadaukPencil.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 184
  • BubingaPen.jpg
    BubingaPen.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 183
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kendallqn

Very Nicely done, Your off to a good start it seems. Be warned pen making is addictive and expensive. I think I could be a crack head cheaper sometimes. :eek:

plantman

Nice looking first pens Tony !! Sometimes a little diversion makes things go smoother in both hobbys. Hope to see some of your knifes posted here also. Jim S

Travis Fry

I'm a knifemaker too, and sometimes I need break from forging, grinding, hand sanding, etc. I suspect the margins may be better with pens as well, and they certainly have a broader appeal. Also, as you know, a lot of materials and tools cross over, and I've got a lot of ideas for ways that my lathe can actually improve my knives. Good work on those pens!

Fulmaduro

Thank you everybody for the great comments! I really enjoy this lathe stuff and want to try other similar items like perfume applicators and especially cigar tubes.

I need to try the CA finish again. I did it originally on the padauk pencil but it was uneven so I turned it off and then sanded it before 5 coats of the Tru-Oil.

Trey, where about in Kansas City do you live. I want to meet some other turners in this area. There are probably more turners than knife makers.

Travis, I have responded to some of your posts and pics on Knifenet. You are an exceptional knife maker and have used some of your knives as inspiration for some of my projects. I would love to see pics of some of your pens too. And also any turning tips you discover that help you in your knifemaking.

Thanks again all.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

Top Bottom