My first Scalloped Pen - Eventually!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John Den

John Den

[FONT=&quot]After Tim's (wiset1) "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Steps I use for Scalloping *Long*" post I was fired up with enthusiasm![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The first blank went according to plan but exploded quite dramatically when I drilled the cap blank.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The second blank went perfectly until I very gently, with super sharp tools, turned [/FONT][FONT=&quot]it almost to size - when a scallop and aluminium accent disappeared somewhere in the workshop after pinging off – I am still yet to find them![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Quite dejected now I rethought the whole process for myself and came up with a method - using my metal lathe, my mini-mill and my wood lathe - I thought would work
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This time - success - a pen I was pleased (to have finished) with. The following photo can be viewed as a 3D image by relaxing your eyes and crossing them to bring the 2 pictures together as a 3rd virtual picture in the middle of the 2 existing ones. The virtual picture will be in 3D. Give it a try after clicking the thumbnail.[/FONT]
Scalloped Framed.jpg
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm now trying to write up the method I used so that I remember it when I try again after a couple of months. What it is to get old!!![/FONT]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Well done on thinking of an alternative method. mind sharing the approach you cam up with? :)

By the way, your photography is fantastic. what is the base you have stood the pen on?

John Den

Now that you know how to do the scallops, how about a nice solid color like black or navy blue with silver or aluminum scallops!
Thanks for your comments George.
That's a good idea though the cost of silver, as I remember from my jewelry making days, would be a bit prohibitive - maybe stainless would also be an alternative. I've used this to make bigger centre bands on slimlines and it polishes up a treat ................but I need to finish writing up how I did the scalloping successfully first otherwise I'll waste another 3 blanks!

Well done on thinking of an alternative method. mind sharing the approach you cam up with? :)

By the way, your photography is fantastic. what is the base you have stood the pen on?
Thanks for your comments Brad.

I'm still writing up how I did it (for myself, mainly, as I'm old!!!) but I'd willingly share this, if you think people would be interested. I've got no idea how to share it, on this site,though so I'll need some help.

The base is the top of my Laptop computer which is shiny and a nice grey colour. The backdrop was a black plastic A4 folder.

I took tips from this site and instead of using flash used 2 side lights I had on my desk along with my wife's fold up laundry basket which made an almost ideal light tent. (It is ideal now as I've cut out the front opening as it was a bit restrictive - I did it neatly though, so maybe she won't notice.)

The camera was a Nikon D70S single lens reflex. sitting on a tripod which I moved sideways about 4 inches (width of the eyes) to take the 2 pictures to get the 3D effect when you cross your eyes ( o) (o ) the left picture is taken from the right and the right picture is taken from the left, (I always get this wrong and have to swap the pictures over till the 3rd (middle image) "jumps" out at me)

The whole setup was a bit Heath Robinson, sitting on top of a wallpaper pasting table The effect was better than I expected (as with the pen).

The photo setup I used:

Attachments

• Photo Setup.jpg
    Photo Setup.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 227

dbledsoe

I was completely convinced that you were pulling our collective legs, but I tried it anyway. Now I can't quit looking at it. It's fantastic anyway, but the 3-d effect is stunning.Mom used to tell us that if we crossed our eyes they would get stuck that way. If that turns out to be true, you get the surgery bill.
Great pen! Great photography!

BradG

John! That's brilliant. Just goes to show you can take fantastic pictures without having to blow a load on equipment. I should invest in a decent SLR, as I only have a point and click, with an automatic focus which I hate. Trying to get the depth of field right is more fluke.

Sure I'd gladly help put your post on the forum I'm sure most of us would be interested in seeing your method we are all love to pick up a new trick or two when we can. Have you hand written it or typed it up on the pc?

JamesB

Great looking pen, John. I can't get the 3D effect either when I relax my eyes it goes blurry. The pen is great and I'm really impressed by your photo tent. I may have to copy that.

John Den

Brad/

I'm typing it up at the moment on the PC but it will take some time, particularly as I've just gone down with some virus or other which has made me feel real rotten. The wife's still recovering after 3 weeks of purgatory so I'm not looking forward at all....I don't even feel like venturing into the workshop at the moment so it's pretty bad!!!

I'll let you know when I've finished the typing and ask you then for help in what to do. If possible, I would like to ask you to glance over the finished item to see you think it's suitable / helpful etc. .... just a simple yes or no. No work on your part!!!

James/

Try this:-

1. Point at the pictures nearly touching them with both your hands stretched out Palms down thumbs locked together.
  2. Move in so you can rest on your elbows.
  3. Focus both eyes on your knuckles of your right hand.
  4. Keep focus on these knuckles and resting on your elbows whilst slowly raising your hands to about 3" in front of your eyes.
  5. Slowly change your focus onto the image of the pens that is between your hands.
  6. Rock your head position so that the 2 images coincide in the vertical.
  7. You should now be seeing the 3D image
Kind Regards,
John

BradG

Brad/

I'm typing it up at the moment on the PC but it will take some time, particularly as I've just gone down with some virus or other which has made me feel real rotten. The wife's still recovering after 3 weeks of purgatory so I'm not looking forward at all....I don't even feel like venturing into the workshop at the moment so it's pretty bad!!!

I'll let you know when I've finished the typing and ask you then for help in what to do. If possible, I would like to ask you to glance over the finished item to see you think it's suitable / helpful etc. .... just a simple yes or no. No work on your part!!!

Kind Regards,
John

John no trouble at all but get your health back on track first. currently researching programming microchips so i dont have spare time to try scalloping at the moment anyway. Il drop you a PM. get in touch when its ready and il gladly give it a readthrough and lend a hand uploading it.

Rest up, chat soon

Brad

PenPal

John,

Breath of fresh air, lovely pen, pic set up(brave man considering the source), and the 3 D made my day. Where I worked one time all their aerial surveys of forest areas was adapted to be seen in detail in 3D so I was used to simply crossing my eyes a little to acheive this rather than use devices.

This would have to be a milestone reached on our forum an idea put into practice described illustrated all in a short time simply without fuss.

Now to those who feel they would hang on to their special thing I say hang on forever if you choose no amount of side play should sway you, simply showing is what we do simply knowing how can be personal especially since outside the forum and within folks take it as a mark of pride to duplicate every little thing. I have witnessed marketing and patenting others ideas from time to time.

Really pleased to see this forum get up to speed with metal working as well something needed in this so called new age of hand made kits (new only to some).

I worked with a mates young son who in his first year of machining was turning captive internal shapes in Stainless Steel only using an old Atlas Lathe so techniques can be intuative for some.

Thank you John also for sharing along with others your vast experiences in metalwork.

Kind regards Peter.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
1st - It certainly is a beautiful pen!
2nd - I wish I could cross my eyes!
3rd - Great photography and brilliant "use what ya got" set up!

Top Bottom