My first Rollerball.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bryfox86

bryfox86

I am really proud of this pen... I have made <25 pens and this is what I have created with a cheap rollerball kit I picked up from woodpenpro.com (Jimmy is awesome ret. LCDR USN) please let me know what you think. but know that my very biased opinion loves this pen! :)

Made from: argentine lignum vitae
finish is: Teak oil and CA finish.

B80532B4-CAA5-45D0-9AD5-40796BB3E908-8728-00000F16D6C96768.jpg

09122D31-8597-47E4-80E6-4CFBBF0BC838-8728-00000F16CC6BFFBC.jpg

076B3C30-A32D-4D68-92E9-20BF087D7BF8-8728-00000F16C57ADE6A.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

Your fit and finish looks really good, and lingum has very captivating grain, theres no reason you shouldnt be proud of that pen, i like it. Superb really for less than 25 under your belt!

While im not familiar with teak oil and i may be wrong on this one, you may wan to be careful using any oil under a CA finish, as CA doesnt adhere well to oil, and you may run into finishing problems, such as the CA "lifting" from the wood during assebly. If you did it in an attempt to "pop" the grain before applying CA, I recommend using de-waxed blond shellac, which u can order online. A little bit goes a long way, and eerything sticks well to shellac

alamocdc

Looks good! LV is one of my favorite woods to turn and the striations in the grain are really cool looking. And you did a fine job with it. Every one I've turned goes green within a matter of days. Exposure to UV will accelerate the process.

bryfox86

Your fit and finish looks really good, and lingum has very captivating grain, theres no reason you shouldnt be proud of that pen, i like it. Superb really for less than 25 under your belt!

While im not familiar with teak oil and i may be wrong on this one, you may wan to be careful using any oil under a CA finish, as CA doesnt adhere well to oil, and you may run into finishing problems, such as the CA "lifting" from the wood during assebly. If you did it in an attempt to "pop" the grain before applying CA, I recommend using de-waxed blond shellac, which u can order online. A little bit goes a long way, and eerything sticks well to shellac

I am looking into it now... What I generally do is apply one very thin coat, let it spin on the lathe for a few minutes and then let it sit overnight. So I have not had a problem... yet. That is not to say that there is not a possibility for thrown tools in the near future. Thank you for the advise! will take it cautiously!

bryfox86

Thanks for all the support! Now I am going to start on a Table project for the wife but as soon as that is done I will be doing some Military pens for some guys that are leaving my command. I will post pictures!

Top Bottom