My First Raven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Hot off the lathe :)

Beautiful design and the threads are real nice!

When I turn my second, I will make the lines straighter (less concave) on top and bottom barrels and see how that looks. Assembles easy, writes, and feels great.

AA Marinara blank.

Thanks Constant.

I used the bushings that Constant mailed me. They were perfect.

Attachments

• Raven Marinara1.jpg
    Raven Marinara1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Raven Marinara2.jpg
    Raven Marinara2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Raven Marinara3.jpg
    Raven Marinara3.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 364
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Thank you Jack. I was very impressed with the quality of the components. I always liked that Marinara blank (not because I am Italian), but didn't like the name. I think it's a real pretty blank.

Tomorrow, I am going to turn another with one a black "diamond" holographic blank.

Then some woods..

Have a good night and thanks for the praise.

Charlie69

Looks nice, I like the Marinara blanks also. The square threads look nice.. Acme? The threads remind me of the reel seats on the old Leonard Duracane bamboo fly rods. Pretty cool.

TonyL

Thank you Charlie. I will have to research "ACME threads. I do not know what they are.

vtgaryw

So easy to post and close? The threads engage easily without having to fiddle?

I looked at a lot of threads on the old ones that didn't work well under magnification, they were very inconsistently cut (i.e., depth of cut, etc.) as well as not being smooth.

Gary

TonyL

Thank you for correcting me...yes, less convex (barrel-shaped).

I bought the blank from Rockler because I happen to be there for a Jan 1 sale.
However, many of I suppliers carry Marinara and sell it for less even after my Gwinnet Woodworkers Discount.

I bought a different pen stand today and will try to take a decent picture.

I also just blew the lower barrel of my black diamond holograph blank while buffing it. It was the one that I made with a less-convex :), more tapered profile. I still have the cap part. LOL. And believe it or not, I had it on I dowel while buffing it. Stuff happens.

As far as the threads, there was no fiddling around; they felt smooth and secure. Remember, not that I expect less, but I only turned one kit. It's also meaty, but not heavy - IMO. I usually don't post the cap, but this is one that feels balanced even when posted. I am sure the choice of materials will affect the weight and balance.

Charlie69

I also just blew the lower barrel of my black diamond holograph blank while buffing it. I still have the cap part. LOL. And believe it or not, I had it on I dowel while buffing it. Stuff happens.

Oh! It's a heart breaker when that happens. Pen is as good as done...just a little more time on the buffer and then :eek::eek::eek:

Fireengines

Just one note, the kit come with between centers bushings with no holes. So, this will be my first time turning this way.

Top Bottom