My first post and Picture the Birch Bark Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bruce119

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce119

My first post and Picture the Birch Bark Pen

A quick introduction. My name is Bruce I am new to pen making a little over one month now. I have been doing arts & crafts & model making all my life. I was a printer for a career so I have an eye for fine detail. I am going to specialize in local woods. Like Palm, Driftwood, Cypress, Cedar. I live in Florida I like to collect my own wood. I drive around and pickup wood any ware I can. Driftwood is great I find it among the mangroves along the gulf coast. I live just north of Tampa.

This is my latest creation....The Birch Bark Pen.

2007850525_Birch%20Bark%20Pen.jpg

It is made from "White Paper Birch" tree bark from Wisconsin. I took the thin top layer of the bark wrapped it around a pen blank tube. Then cast it with crystal clear epoxy resin. Turned it down then polished it up.

Not too bad for the first one I casted.

This is the seventh pen I made. All on a crappy drill lathe. I can't wait to get my new lathe. Two more weeks then I get a 14" mini metal lathe :) The Birch Bark Pen is the first cast pen I did. Check out my other pictures in my album.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=4213&cid=4625

I have Diamond Back Rattlesnake skins ready for the Rattler Pen....coming soon!!

Pens by Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doddman70

Hey Bruce that is absolutly beautiful!!!! very nice[:D][:D] how did you cast the pen? was it in poly resin? and did you use a presure pot?

Shane

tjkendall

What a fantastic idea and it turned out to be a beautiful pen. Thanks for the idea. I might have to turn one for my self.

Safe turning.

donwae

That is a really nice looking pen. I would agree you do have an eye for detail judging by the photo. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

bruce119

Thank you all for the kind words.

A little about the pen. I got the idea from a snake skin tutorial. I got a wild imagination and I got some birch bark I was going to use on making fishing rod handles. So I thought a pen just like a snake skin. You peel off the top layer of the bark and glue it to the tube, cast and turn.

My equipment is primitive it is very frustrating. A crappy little drill lathe with a home made mandrel. I am getting a new lathe soon.

I used Polymer Composites "MAX CLR-HP" epoxy resin. Gerald is very helpful and will take the time to answer your questions.
http://www.polymercompositesinc.com/

I did not use pressure. Although I just got a pressure pot up and going and intend to use it in the future. It does have some small bubbles that are a bit hard to see. It is almost imposable to conceal the seam. I'm getting better a that, of coarse you can hide it in a photo.

I have a lot of ideas on casting just think about it. What ever you can wrap around a tube you should be able to cast. There are a LOT of possibilities. I have a good one to try BUT I don't want to spoil the fun. You will be the first to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom