My First Post - Jr. Statesman II Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BuckIronfox

BuckIronfox

I've been reading the forums here for a little while and haven't really had a reason to post, but will start to be a little more active. I thought I'd share a pic of my latest pen. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8104-2.jpg
    IMG_8104-2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 487
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

Very nice piece of buckeye ! Pen body appears to be a bit overturned at the nib end and under turned at the cap end , but pictures can be deceiving and I may be totally wrong .

I think the pen looks really nice as well.

Not sure if it applies for your pen but I made a mistake with my first Jr Stateman pen. I didn't notice that the body bushings were different sizes. Is it possible you installed the hardware backwards from your bushing placement when turning? The bushing near the ink tip is the larger of the two. If you know how you could carefully use punches to remove the hardware from the tube and reinstall reversed to correct it.

Edit: I noticed the title says Jr Statesman II...so I'm not sure if the bushing sizes are the same as what I normally use.

Last edited:

BuckIronfox

Yep, I put the endcap on the wrong end. I was wondering if anyone would notice :) I'm picking up a set of punches tonight to fix it.

BuckIronfox

Here's the one I made prior

Not a great photo, and the pen's not perfect but at least I put this one together correctly :)

Attachments

• IMG_8106.jpg
    IMG_8106.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 327

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yep, I put the endcap on the wrong end. I was wondering if anyone would notice :) I'm picking up a set of punches tonight to fix it.

Yes, a group of penturners WILL SEE that. Now, the average person probably will not.

Great pen for your first pic posted!!

PenPal

Morning here Buck from outer ether, your pen exceeds the norm in first postings, first past the post, weights right all clear and if I were a betting person great value for money.

Look forward to more now from you in the future.

Kind regards Peter and welcome from down under.

BuckIronfox

Yes, I'll occasionally have a cigar, I tend to buy more than I smoke though so they also work great as a pen prop.

Gilrock

Yes, a group of penturners WILL SEE that. Now, the average person probably will not.

Great pen for your first pic posted!!

And when some of us have made the same mistake or similar. :)

My mistake was one of those that makes you're stomach churn. I tried to use my very first Jr Stateman kit with one of Toni's polymer clay Purple Rose blanks. So I was fairly new to penturning using a new kit and a new style blank. Well she has the blanks fit pretty close to the bushings so it should only need some light sanding. Well I had been doing all my slimlines and wallstreets so I didn't even read the directions...I figured both bushings were always the same size like every other pen I had done. So I put the bushings on the blank and with a 50/50 chance of it being wrong of course I had them backwards. I ended up sanding one side down too far where it started to lose some of the flower detail. I don't even remember how I realized my mistake. I think I might have picked up the directions after the error...lol. It didn't turn out looking all that bad. Most people I showed the pen to never noticed the issue...I ended up giving it to mom for christmas. A friend at work liked it enough he had me order a second blank to make a pen for his wife....I got it right the 2nd time. :)

Not sure if it applies for your pen but I made a mistake with my first Jr Stateman pen. I didn't notice that the body bushings were different sizes. Is it possible you installed the hardware backwards from your bushing placement when turning? The bushing near the ink tip is the larger of the two. If you know how you could carefully use punches to remove the hardware from the tube and reinstall reversed to correct it.

I did the exact same thing on my first Jr Statesman. I got it apart and was able to fix it, but then the nib end was pretty loose, so I had to glue it in place. Just something to consider.

76winger

I like the Buckeye Burl coupled with the Black Ti finish. Looks great, and one you get the body turned around it'll be Awesome! The wood really looks great on the second one.

Top Bottom