My first post and first pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

Hello everyone, my first two pens didn't turn out to good, but the second two were a little better. The top one is Olive-wood and the bottom one is Ironwood.
slimline.jpg

I'd like to move up to another style of pen now, what would you suggest for a rookie like me? I've not seen any I don't like, so as long as it's still on the easy side, I don't want to get in over my head yet. [:I]

I've looked at all the pictures in the gallery, all I can say is Wow, you people do good work to say the least.

Thanks for looking!

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking pens - love the olive wood.

With a question like that I am sure you will get about as many different answers as there are types of pen kits. And sooner or later you will most likely migrate back to the slimline and make your own cb's, which will allow even more shapes of the pen.

However, as for myself, the next pen kit after the slimline that I used was the 'cigar pen'. And there are several very good places on the home page for suggestions of places to buy them. All very reputable and all with very good prices.

Thanks,
JohnPayton

WoodChucker

Thanks penhead, cb's is that custom blank? So are you saying I can use the slimline bushings & tubes and make other types of pens? Sorry, I'm really green at this. I ordered a couple of books on pen making but they haven't come yet, so I'm going at this sort of blind. Thanks again!

R.T.

Docsmith45

Woodchucker;

As a fairly new guy myself, I do like your work. Beautiful pens. My second pen was a "Powerpen." something a little bigger and still fairly straight forward. I also like the Polaris pens. Be bold and try a variety.

Doc

Scott

Hi R.T.,

In this case CB would be Center Band. That little metal center band on the slimline is just decoration. You can leave it out or make your own. I did an article on this subject which is re-printed in our articles section here. Use this link:

http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

There are actually two articles there - it's the second one that shows how to make your own center band.

But like John said, if you're looking for a different kit to move on to, I also like the cigar pen. There's nothing real tricky about it, and it makes a beautiful pen!

By the way, your two pens are sure nice!

Scott.

WoodChucker

Thanks Doc, I'll check those out, I'm not even sure which ones they are off the top of my head. [:D] But thanks for the info!

R.T.

WoodChucker

Scott, I almost missed your post, we must have been typing at the same time. And once again I came in last. [:D]

Glad I seen it, thanks for the info and I'll check out the other link for sure, sounds like a good one.

Only been here about an hour now and I've already learned a few things. Can't beat that! :)

R.T.

Efletche

I've only been doing this for a couple months myself. The second style pen I started doing was the European (or Designer) style. I chose this only because it was the other pen style they taught us at the Woodcraft workshop back in August. I have the Cigar, Exec style, Pen lights and pencil kits here but have not tried them as of yet.

WoodChucker

Thanks Efletche, wish I had a place around here that I could take a class or two. I live in the country and have to drive 50 miles to the first big town.

Scott, I checked out that link, thanks so much! It open my eyes to a few new ideas. Don't go anywhere, I'm sure I could use you again in the near future. [:D]

Thanks again!

R.T.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Chiming in with the others, I too like the cigar pen. It's a bit like a slimline on steroids. And it only requires one drill bit (a 10mm). The added heft of the pen really gives you some wood to play with, creating beads, coves and the like. You can learn how to make your gouges and skews really work for you. [8D]

tipusnr

I've been turning slimlines for almost a year now. I've got other kits and will make one of them someday. The slimline gives me so many possibilities for designs, alternate materials, and now looking at segmented blanks! I've still got so many ideas running around my head for that kit!!!

Bottom line. Experiment..have fun..make sure YOU like it!!!

jkirkb94

I've been turning for over a year now and have tried most of the pens that Woodcraft supplies. I agree with the others that the cigar pen might be a good one to try next. You will need new bushings and a 10mm bit. I tried the Woodcraft European early because it takes a 7mm like the slimline but you will need to cut a tenon. Scary the first couple of times but not difficult with the right tool. Most of my pens have been European, both the 7mm and the 8mm that I get from Penn State Industries. Good luck and don't forget you have a great forum here to help you. Don't forget that Woodcraft, Penn State and others have their instructions online. I created a notebook from the online instructions. Kirk [8D]

WoodChucker

DCBluesman, thanks for the tips! Slimline on steroids, hey? I like that. [:D] I'm not having much luck with that skew yet, but I make sure I practice with it on each pen I make, even if it's just for a second or two. I'll get it down one day.

Thanks jwoodwright, yep it's a good dang thing I'm retired. [:D]

tipusnr, so your stuck on them slimlines hey? After reading that link that Scott posted, I just might hang around a little longer and see what I can come up with. Never no, I might get lucky. lol.

jkirkb94, thanks for the info. I'll have to try those cigar pens, seems like there pretty popular.

BTW, what tool do you use to cut the tenon? Is it one of those roto tools? I suck at that tool too. lol.

Thanks again everyone!

R.T.

Scott

Hi R.T.

My preferred tool for cutting tenons is a small parting tool. I have one that is about 6" long, handle and all, and it works perfect! A lot of people have ground a nice small parting tool out of an old flathead screwdriver.

Scott.

WoodChucker

Thanks Scott, appreciate the tip. When I get to that point I might have to ask a few more questions about it. I want to make a few more slim-lines first and get a little more experience. Thanks again!

R.T.

its_virgil

Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />[:D] I'm not having much luck with that skew yet, but I make sure I practice with it on each pen I make, even if it's just for a second or two.
R.T.
The skew is a wonderful tool. You are wise to practice with it. After attending the symposium in Provo in June and watching the "pros" use the skew for most everything I decided to use it more. I had always used the skew for the final shaping, but now I use the skew from start to finish. I have not used a gouge in quite awhile. I have a 1" oval skew that I use on pens and love it. Seems that the larger skew is more stable than the smaller ones. There is lots of info on skew usage....look for stuff by Allen Lacer...He has a couple of videos and some print matereal. Keep practicing and you'll learn to "Tame the skew" which is the title of one of Lacer's videos. There is a picture in my photo album of a gavel with a pen in the handle and it was made entirely using the skew...no other tool has touched that gavel.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

WoodChucker

Don, thanks for the info. I hope it's like most things I try to learn and one day something will snap (hopefully not the pen) and it will come to me what I'm doing wrong. Yesterday I took some 2X4 and cut it up to practice on, didn't do to bad, but I'm a long way from saying I got it. Maybe construction lumber is not a good idea to practice with, I know it's soft, will that cause me problems?

I checked out some of your work, really nice! I like the snake pen, and the ones made from ammo brass. I'd love to learn that one, is it pretty hard? Looks like it might be. Maybe down the road after I get better at this you could give me some tips on how you make those? But if it's a trade secret or something I'll understand, so just tell me to " Bite the bullet". [:D]

Well thanks again and keep up the great work.

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom