My First Polymer Clay Cane and Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vtgaryw

vtgaryw

Was fairly pleased. Distorted the flower pattern a bit much when rolling the final cane, probably could have worked some of the clay a bit more first to make it more malleable. And then distorted some of the cane slices when pressing them onto the tube.

2nd picture is the cane not fully rolled out, and another tube baked and ready to turn. I had a couple of blanks where the clay section didn't seem to seamlessly blend together. Not sure how to describe it, but if you're familiar with injection molding they're like "flow lines."

Overall, successful enough to try some more.

Gary

Attachments

• Polymer Clay 2 Resized.jpg
    Polymer Clay 2 Resized.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 324
  • Polymer Clay Cane - Resized.jpg
    Polymer Clay Cane - Resized.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Well Done on your First Attempts with Polymer Clay, Gary.
As you mentioned, you are aware that for your next ones, you will do somethings differently.
You are ahead of me, I have only thought about it, and it is still on my Bucket list.
Brian.

vtgaryw

It's actually not that complicated to start (but it will take forever to master.) You don't need much equipment or special tools. I did buy a clay roller (pasta maker) but you can roll the clay out by hand as well. And there's lots of YouTube videos.

Gary

vtgaryw

This was Sculpey. I have some Primo I'm going to try on my next go around. I was worried about overworking, but the clay seemed really stiff compared to how it looked in some of the videos I watched.

On another note, I have a polyclay blank that I tore a chunk out of while turning down. Is it possible to repair the missing chunk? I'm assuming not, that it will overbake the clay that's already there?

Thanks,

Gary

Top Bottom