My first Piston filler FP w/ink window

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is my first piston filler Fountain pen . It is made with a Schmidt piston filler front section and some Black crushed velvet .
I cheated on this one a little , the filler body has threads for both the body and grip for the front section but they are odd sizes (there's a surprise :rolleyes:) So I turned off the threads and made them a press fit , I put a drop of epoxy on the piston body to secure it to the body of the pen .
This pen took two blanks to make all the parts . the cap end is longer then I like but that's because it has to cover the extra length of the ink window . the piston is operated by turning the end of the pen .

1_pistonfillerfp.jpg

1_pistonfillerfp2.jpg

1_pistonfillerfp3.jpg

As always , comments are welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone .
This one is destined to be my new desk , daily writer , I really liked the way it came out . Turning the grip on the front section was the hardest part , it's really , really thin and the crushed velvet gets very soft as it heats up from turning and sanding . Sanding this stuff when it's this thin has to be done wet or it will deform .
John , the pen measures 5 7/8" in length and 5/8" in diameter . It's a little longer then normal but not by much and the body of the pen has a nice balance and feel to it , it's also very light .

mickr

I go away for a few days and you post this beauty..glad I din't miss it..like the blank very much..and of course the design, execution..etc....

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is absolutely excellent Butch:biggrin: Very well done!!!. Could you show us a pic with the end finial removed that gives access to the twist piston?

ldb2000

Thanks guys
Skippy , I could show you a picture with the end finial removed but it's not nessecery , the end finial twists to fill the pen . As I said this is my first try at a piston filler , the end finial is supposed to be a cover ? I made it into a knob . Guess I "Botched" it up :redface::biggrin:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Looks out of this world Butch. One of those pens that any one who sees it will want it.

ldb2000

Butch, this really looks fantastic. Can I ask how you did the clip?
JJ

Thanks JJ . The clip is just a piece of brass rod .081" in diameter bent to shape then sanded and buffed to a mirror shine . The legs are bent in towards the centerline of the pen the pressed into holes drilled towards the centerline of the pen . It don't need to be glued in place because the angle of the legs and holes keep it locked in place , it's a bit of a PITA to get the legs into the holes but it works great .

ldb2000

Cris , I really do love the crushed velvet but it is a love-hate relationship . I love the look of it but hate to turn it .
I keep my tools scary sharp , sharp enough to shave with , but this stuff is a bear to turn . It can be very chippy and at the same time melt . Even threading can build up enough heat to craze the surface .
Still the finished product is worth the effort . I polishes up to a "Glass like" finish and has incredible depth that no photo can ever show .
It's the most requested pen material of all the stuff I make pens from it's just a shame that it only came in 5/8" blanks .

Top Bottom