My first Pine Cone Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Donovan's Corner

I hadn't made a Pine Cone Pen until now. It was fun and interesting, but unfortunately New Mexico Pine Cones are small and limiting. There was only enough for a Wall Street II click pen. Luckily my new inlay material arrived in time for this project and I was able to fill the seed pod voids with Blue Lapis.

Attachments

• 102_2345.jpg
    102_2345.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 102_2347b.jpg
    102_2347b.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 102_2349.jpg
    102_2349.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
After doing some research I have decided NM Pine Cones although small have a lot of interesting color, shapes and composition. It's the full monster in one package. There are scales at the pocket clip teeth toward the middle and some flame at the nib.

I love the way God sneaks the pretty little details in where few expect to look!

Drstrangefart

I turn just the cores of long needle pine cones, which has a TOTALLY different effect. Either way, pine cones are a distinct and rewarding challenge. You got a great pen out of it.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I will be prepping to go collect green pine cones soon to make more.

Yeah, I like the pine cones you're using. They seem tighter than the one in the blank that I turned. Adding the color to the voids gives the design just the right contrast. Beautiful job!

Thank you.

The cones are only 3-4 inches long. I used CA over two weeks after the green cone opened up. The ends had to stabilized and filled with coffee grounds. On the next batch I am going to use the coffee grounds to secure the spines so there will be less stripped away.

Top Bottom