My first picture post.. Be kind..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TheDudeTim

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDudeTim

I found a block of bubinga at the local wood shop last week and this is the first creation. Its 1/2 Heartwood and 1/2 Sapwood. I've only been turning a bit over a month now, this being my 10th pen! (slim lines and Euros only! lol)

tn_Bubinga.jpg

I'll be the first to admit that my picture taking needs some work. I'm looking into picking up a cheap light box soon. Hopefully things will look much better in the future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

It is a wonderful pen! (and I am not just being kind [;)])

Like you I started with slimline and Euros. My first 150 or so was all made of those 2 kits. Life was so simple then...one drill bit, 1 mandrel, 2 bushing sets, 1 pilot for pen mill, etc.

Savor it now...soon you will need a spreadsheet to track your kits, bushings, etc. LOL

Of course I am just kidding. [;)]

Johnathan

You want me to be kind? Well, that pen is something to be proud of. Great job! Remember, don't be affraid of critisism, it will only make you better. Everyone helps each other here. I look forward to seeing future pens. [8D]

OSCAR15

Very Nice ! You should expand to other type kits...Cigars are easy and beautiful, also, Polaris is a good style for begginers.... You are doina super job! OSCAR

gerryr

Looks very good. What is the finish? Check this link, it will give you the details of building your own light box for around $10. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11720 You can get by just fine with one 10' length of pipe, just adjust the depth of the box.

SteveRoberts

There is nothing there to be ashamed of, no need for us to go easy on you, from now on you are on the same picking-on list as everyone else. "Congrats". [:D]

TheDudeTim

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Now be brutal. lol..

So, Just finished turning my very first Burl pen.. (A purple Maple burl from WoodCraft with Titanium Hardware.) I'll get pictures soon and post em..

As for the finish, I sanded up to 2500 and then used a french polish and then car wax.. I've since switched over to a new kind of wax.. Don't know what its called, but it smells like shoe polish! lol..

gerryr, thanks for the post on the light kits.. Ill be using some of those ideas very soon!

Johnathan

I think a full set of micromesh should be on your list of things to buy. As you are talking about what I think is the purple died box elder burl from CSUSA, this will look great with 12,000 M.M.

TheDudeTim

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />I think a full set of micromesh should be on your list of things to buy. As you are talking about what I think is the purple died box elder burl from CSUSA, this will look great with 12,000 M.M.

Yup, Already got em! and the finish on the died maple burl (From the woodcraft store here in St. Louis) turned out fantastic! My girlfriend loved it so much, she asked to turn her very first pen! (Silver maple with a ton of figure) Needless to say, she now sees why I enjoy turning so much now.. heheh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom