My first picture as a new member!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from akingkubo

akingkubo

I am new member and I am still trying to get acquainted with your forums and sites. I have been turning pen since June of last year. I am quite addicted to it so I have to "pace myself" so I will not use up all my money buying supplies to satisfy my "pen turning needs"! I already made about 100+ pens in the 10 months I started so....I backed off about a month to save my bank account!
We went to California on vacation and all I see our "pen-tential" blanks everywhere!
Anyway, I was having severe pen turning withdrawals so I finally started back turned this Victorian pen kit in 24k gold. I bought in Penn state. I used a ruby acrylic blank from Woodcraft.

Thanks for having me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 509
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akingkubo

Thanks ya'll! I appreciate all your comments!
I will try to post more pictures, Dan. I just have to make them smaller or take the pictures with my phone. Maria

Nice job keep up the great work. I am not sure if a cure for pen making has ever been developed but even if it was I am not sure how many would want to take it..

akingkubo

Lufkin, TX Edgar and thanks!

You're right, Mike. I don't think I would like a cure for now anyway. I have noted that a lot of you have been doing this for quite a while. Does it ever get old?
I work Mon to Fri and I only turn the weekends. I have slowed down quite a bit. I have turned as much as eight pens a weekend. It's kinda like "therapy" for me and I zone out everything else except the sound of the lathe and the chisel carving whatever blank I choose. Now I limit my turning to one or two every weekend if not less.
I am learning a lot especially recognizing different kinds of blanks. I am still trying to understand he difference between a buckeye burl and box elder, stabilized and laminated, acrylics and tru-stone, etc. What a joy!

BSea

I have noted that a lot of you have been doing this for quite a while. Does it ever get old?

Actually, it does get old at times. What I do, is try something new to modify a standard kit. I rediscovered slimlines by doing pens for the troops. Now when I want to just have some fun, I'll do a slimline. But it won't be stock. Some hardly look anything like a slimline.

I also make custom finials, and decorative rings for the Jr gent 1 kits. Closed ended pens are also something fun to do.

vakmere

As good as it gets. That's a winner. Seems like I'm not the only one with PAS.... (Pen Addiction Syndrome)

Last edited:

Larry EC

Your pen is special and the blank is drop dead gorgeous. Starting to understand your addictive behavior. I'm new to turning and pen turning. Only been doing this about a month and I think that I might be addicted already. :eek:I've made 19 pens and wake up in the morning thinking how much fun it would be to spend time in the wood shop today. Thank goodness I'm retired.

Last edited:
Top Bottom