My First Pepper Mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from USAFVET98

USAFVET98

This is my first pepper mill I made for my dad for his birthday on the third. I used zebra wood and x-cut some for the top and bottom for effect. I made bushings out of pine dowel that seemed to work pretty well.
As always, comments and critiques are appreciated.

Attachments

• Pepper Mill 002.jpg
    Pepper Mill 002.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 208
  • Pepper Mill 003.jpg
    Pepper Mill 003.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

very nice..my only concern are the 2 joints...end grain to cross grain...nice effect, but not too good a gluing strategy...will probably hold, but???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Years ago, I sold a lot of those (that mech). Used one myself for a couple years.

Your dad will love it!! Pretty durable, too!! Nice work.

THarvey

Great looking pepper mill. I think your Dad will like it.

How large of space does the pepper need to pass through?

PSI's instructions say it needs a 1" hole for the mount. Does the 1" hole pass all the way through, or does it taper to a smaller opening?

Could you post a picture of the bottom?

BTW: PSI show they have these in stock. Wish I had thought about it before I closed my order.

Thanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tim,

You could make the hole any way you want. The instructions call for a 'Through hole" with only one dimension, to make it easy to drill.

I always wanted to design one with a "pepper shaker" head on the bottom, so you could grind first, then dispense (didn't do it). Grinding over your food was a little "iffy", sometimes you got a pretty good dose on one section of the steak with nothing in the next section (this was before "blackened" steaks---maybe I invented them????)

Hope this helps.

Daniel

Nice looking Mill. I have not used any of these Mechanisms yet but I sure do like the look of them. I have often though of making up a dozen of them and taking them up to Virginia City and see if any of the shops up there are interested in buying them. They would fit right into the authentic old west venue.

Top Bottom