My first Pentel Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

Here are three Pentel pencils I made. Got some great advice from Don Ward (a.k.a. its_virgil).

The first is a stabilized piece of wood I got from someone along with a pith pen. Sorry, no idea what the wood is or who sent it to me.

The second two are from some wood I had laying around and segmented. The one with Corian is out of some rosewood. The other is cocobolo. The inner ring is actually from the edge of the same piece as the main body but has aged to the darker color.

The lower pen which in the picture is longer has since been cut down to the same length as the others.

Sorry about the shadow on the clip end, I took the pictures in full sunlight and couldn't seem to eliminate the shadow in the time allotted.

Steve

Attachments

• 100_1957.JPG
    100_1957.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 374
  • 100_1961.JPG
    100_1961.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 363
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

Very nice job on the Pentel conversions Steve. I've made some of these but have never segmented them because I didn't think it would be strong enough after turning. I was curious if you reinforced them with tubes or if it's just wood. Again, good job.

SteveJ

The unsegmented one is actually the one which broke! The others are not reinforced. I was able to fix the solid wood one, but only because it is my sons. The repair wouldn't pass for a buyer.

In the future I will use a long tube instead of two smaller tubes.

Dale Parrott

Thank you for answering. I've probably made 50 or so and have only had a few break while turning. I may try in the future but so far I've not used any tubes at all.

lwalper

Yes, slips on the top end. Be careful about scratching your finish when sliding the clip. I just made my first one, but not nearly as nice as those above -- and sold it before I could take a picture.

SteveJ

I built a jig using a tube large enough to slip over the final sized pencil with a tapered turning. One end allows the clip to slip on easily and expands to fit the tube. Then it just slips off the tube into place. I think I got the idea from its_virgil. I will try to post a picture of it tomorrow.

bruce119

I made a bunch of these also....

Nice job on the segmenting...I never considered it because of what Dale said no support..
The ones I had break during use usually are in the NIB....with softer woods...
That is the most vulnerable area when unscrewing the NIB to clear a clog...

GOOD JOB LOOKS GREAT....

SteveJ

Here is a picture of the jig I made for slipping the clip onto the pencil after it has all been finished.

The piece to the right is a waste piece of purpleheart (just what I had on hand) on a 7mm tube. I tapered it to easily accept the clip on the narrow end and slowly stretch the clip to slide onto the Sierra tube at the tenon. I then slide the Sierra tube over the pencil (with the clip in the right direction) and slip the clip back off the tube. You have to be careful that the tube will actually fit over the complete length of the pencil if you are going to slide it off the nib end. DAMHIK.

I took the instructions provided by Don Ward (but not the ones in the library, he was gracious enough to send me another set of instructions) and used a 7mm tube with a modification of a piece I had on hand at the nib end.

I would do more if I could figure out how to consistently drill through a 4 1/2 inch blank...

Attachments

• Pentel jig.jpg
    Pentel jig.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 139

its_virgil

The instructions I sent Stephen were in an article written by Rich Kleinhenz. The article was published in Woodturning Design several issues back. Rich outlined a different and very clever way to make a Pentel conversion. This jig is Rich's idea and is part of the article. If making Pentel conversions is something that you like to do then getting a copy of the article would make doing these conversions easy and simple. I wish I had thought of making the conversion this way.

Drilling is much easier if a step drill is used. John Grounds, aka "Chuck key" on this forum, sells a step drill and a special mandrel for making the Pentel conversion.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Here is a picture of the jig I made for slipping the clip onto the pencil after it has all been finished.

The piece to the right is a waste piece of purpleheart (just what I had on hand) on a 7mm tube. I tapered it to easily accept the clip on the narrow end and slowly stretch the clip to slide onto the Sierra tube at the tenon. I then slide the Sierra tube over the pencil (with the clip in the right direction) and slip the clip back off the tube. You have to be careful that the tube will actually fit over the complete length of the pencil if you are going to slide it off the nib end. DAMHIK.

I took the instructions provided by Don Ward (but not the ones in the library, he was gracious enough to send me another set of instructions) and used a 7mm tube with a modification of a piece I had on hand at the nib end.

I would do more if I could figure out how to consistently drill through a 4 1/2 inch blank...

Top Bottom