My first pens with a skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jd420214

jd420214

Here are a couple of Funline pens off my new 70-220 VSR lathe and the first two I completely done with a skew still trying to fully master it but I like the smooth finish I get. I'm also getting the hang of the lathe with levers in the back my old lathe the were all up front.
The left pen is done in spalted Tamarind wood and the right one is done in Honduras Rosewood this is the first time using either wood.
Thanks for looking comments welcome.
Dave T.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Tailstock lever being in the back I can deal with .... after all, mine isn't reversible. The toolrest, however ... that you can probably flip around so that you can lock it down in front.

jd420214

Skie M I should of said that tool rest is up front but you have to push it so far in that you hit you nuckles if you not caferful.

Skie_M

Push it in ....?

The toolrest on my lathe has a lever cam-lock style of locking mechanism ...

If I lock it in place, I can PULL ON THE LEVER towards me, away from the lathe, and it can freewheel to any position I like ... I can then RELEASE the lever and the spring inside will pull it back towards the lathe, locking the lever into it's new position. Using this feature, I can keep that silly handle out of my way.

Is this the issue you are dealing with? If not, it may be related, and my explanation could help you fix your problem, I hope. :)

If this just plain confuses you, please posts some pictures with more details of the problem, and we'll do what we can to figure it out!

BSea

You're doing it the right way IMHO. I turned for 3 years before I decided to force myself to use a skew till I got comfortable with it. I'm still no expert, but it doesn't scare me anymore. Nice pens, and so much less sanding than most other tools. :good:

Top Bottom