My first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bking0217

bking0217

There was a post on casual conversation about people not posting pics of their pens. These are pics of my first two. They aren't spectacular or anything. Just a slimline and a European in Brazilian Cherry. I haven't learned ca yet so they have a friction polish finish. I was reluctant to post them because I know they're not very good.

Attachments

• 100_2950.jpg
    100_2950.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_2953.jpg
    100_2953.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Don't be reluctant to post just because you think your pens aren't "that good." Everyone here did a "first" pen and chances are most of us thought it wasn't very good. That's what this great place called IAP is about - learning. Ask questions, if you want input on your pens ask for it and let people know if it is ok to be honest in their assessments of your pen/s. I don't personally think it is helpful to newbies to hear "nice pen good job" if they are really interested in learning, but a lot of people aren't going to tell you that you really overcut or undercut a pen if they aren't sure you want honest feedback. Likewise, they aren't likely to tell you if you mixed woods that don't look well together etc.

Thanks for posting your pens, hopefully others will follow suit and we'll see more from the younger (in turning age) members here at IAP. We all learn from each other no matter how long we've been turning - we learned a new trick today too for something we have been doing a long time!

As for your pens - everyone seems to start with those "slims" probably because the kits are so inexpensive and then we all say they aren't very good (I know I did) but I have found they are more difficult to do than say a "cigar" pen (at least for me and some others I have heard comment). Just a thought! I think your slimline looks about like many first slimlines I see - not horrible like you indicated! The Euro looks a bit better - and your next will be even better!!!

Linda

TBCbushings

They look ok. :)
The euro cap end looks a little under cut ,but other than that looks good.....
Just my opinion.....My first pen is not around anymore. I wish I had taken a picture of it but somebody else wanted it more than I did. :(
Brian

KDM

I'm still reluctant to post my pens because I see some of the spectacular work other folk do, but if you don't post your pens, how are you supposed to know how good they really are?

These are very good pens for a first stab. In fact, they're bloody good pens, period. I've seen pens for sale which aren't this good. You know where I saw these pens first? In the "Recent Uploads" of the Photos section. I was so impressed that I went to your profile to see if you'd posted a thread around them.

Friction polish is a perfectly valid way to finish a pen. In fact, in many ways CA is a complete cheat. I don't know when CA was invented, but I don't imagine they had many artificial solutions 60 years ago with which to finish woodwork! So, I'd encourage you to go and perfect your "natural" finish.

I wish I had the time to shellac my pens, for example, but CA is a quick and dirty fix!

Likewise, they aren't likely to tell you if you mixed woods that don't look well together etc.

Yeah, for example, don't ever listen to me on that subject: I hardly ever like mixed wood pens. :)

...everyone seems to start with those "slims" probably because the kits are so inexpensive...

Damn straight - that's why I used them!

I have found they are more difficult to do than say a "cigar" pen (at least for me and some others I have heard comment).

Yeah, they can be, because you're left with very little material on the tube. On the other hand, I turned my first fountain pen recently and there was less than 0.5mm wood on the brass. And, of all the stupid wood choices, I used the most splintery one I could find: coconut!!! I honestly think I got lucky!

Last edited:
Top Bottom