My first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkbulldog

kkbulldog

Here are the first 3 pens I've made so far.
The first one I made about a year ago at a class I took at my local Woodcraft. It's a slimline satin finish with an unknown wood that I grabbed from the $1 pen blank bin. It's overturned and I don't care for the finish very much, I think it was some sort of friction polish.
Fast forward about a year. Over the summer, I refurbished a 1950's Delta lathe that was sitting in my Dad's garage since I was a kid, and I finally gathered the essentials for penturning.
The second picture is the first pen off my lathe. It's a slimline made with mesquite, and I used a CA only finish. Yes, I dove right into the CA finish (which was a little nerve wracking), but I've been reading this forum for a couple of months now, and I felt pretty confident after soaking in all of your wisdom and advice. For the most part I'm pretty happy with it, except I should have spent more time sanding through the grits of MM.

Attachments

• first pen.jpg
    first pen.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 152
  • mesquite slimline.jpg
    mesquite slimline.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kkbulldog

Here's my third pen.
Cigar pen with a stabilized spalted maple blank, again with a CA only finish. I spent more time sanding through the grits of MM and am very pleased with the results. I also had this little guy pop out of the pen when I finished turning it (3rd picture). If you look close enough, you can actually see a smiley face.

Attachments

• spalted maple stabilized cigar 1.jpg
    spalted maple stabilized cigar 1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 155
  • spalted maple stabilized cigar 2.jpg
    spalted maple stabilized cigar 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 157
  • spalted maple stabilized cigar 3.jpg
    spalted maple stabilized cigar 3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 184
Top Bottom